Leaky main water valve

I've recently found that the main water valve before the meter is leaking, perhaps 1gal/week. I can see where the water is dripping out from the valve where the handle goes into the fitting.

Our line comes up through a basement/closet floor ->grounding wire ->

valve -> meter -> valve -> grounding wire -> house. It appears to be flare fitted copper.

I've been feeling brave as I just rerouted plumbing for our new kitchen, but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I'm wondering also if it was caused by something I did, perhaps tightening down old gaskets too much.

Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated!

Reply to
narspam

If the leak is on the "street" side of the meter, it's probably up to the water utility to fix it. It is in my jurisdiction.

Just call them up and they'll likely fix it pronto. I wouldn't mess with it myself -- if you screw up the meter or the connections to same, you could find yourself with a significant liability.

FYI: this is what my local water company say:

The Alameda County Water District is responsible for pipes on the "street side" of the water meter, including all service lines and water mains extending throughout the community. ACWD is also responsible for the water meter itself. If you notice a water leak in the street or in the vicinity of your water meter, please call ACWD Operations to report it.

The property owner is generally responsible for all pipes and plumbing on the "customer side" of the water meter. This includes the interior plumbing of the home, the outside irrigation system, and the area where the property's water system connects to the water meter.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

It may be a Globe valve like this:

a similar Gate valve.

Either has the packing nut where the stem enters the valve body. If tightening the nut doesn't stop the leak, the packing inside will need renewal. It is *possible* to repack it just by closing the valve, then draining system water from the outlet side. Then unscrew the nut to wrap new packing around stem.

But things can and do go wrong. Is they do, there is no Plan "B" since the water service can only then be shut off at the curb and this curb stop may not be accessible to you.

Will the utility assist on this leaking valve? Nobody on here can tell you with any certainty.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Just this past weekend I was setting out the trash and heard a hissing at the meter box in the sidewalk. Opened it up a saw a leak, not large. Being the weekend I called the emergency number for our utility company. About three hours past and the repair woman replaced the rubber washer on the street side of the meter. Funny part was I had confused my meter with the house next door (close together), so the leak was really the neighbor's.

-- Oren

Oren

imho:

Just want to correct this generialization. I believe my community requires home owners to be responsible for everything down from the curb valve.

tom @

Just Joshin