Leaky drain

I'm almost certain that the drain in the tub in my master bath is leaking (the ceiling in the garage directly below the tun is stained). Before I knock a hole in the ceiling to check where the leak is I'd like to try to fix it from within the tub. Does it make sense that the water could be going around the outside of the drain? Can I just unscrew the drain, putty around it and reinstall?

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Risky. Is there an access panel behind the tub where you could make an inspection from?

The part below the tub is called the "shoe" drain and there is a rubber gasket between it and the tub bottom. Unscrewing the strainer from the shoe can be very difficult if it is corroded in there. And there is the danger of the twisting forces causing leaks elsewhere.

I wouldn't jump into this one...

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I would not think that location for the leak was the most likely and attempting to reseal it would be somewhat risky. Pipe connections are more likely. If a shower is used it is possible that the leak is from the shower, possibly thru the wall at the faucet handle, around the tub overflow, thru a crack in the surround grout or caulking or even splash outside the tub thru a crack in the floor. If the ceiling below is drywall then opening it for inspection would be easily repaired. You might even put in some sort of inspection door. Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Also, check the estuchan(sp?) of the bathtub faucet. Yesterday I saw an "Ask This Old House" and the estuchan (that round thing around the faucet) needed to be repacked with plumbers putty and that stopped the homeowner&#39;s leak. It also made me aware that the weep hole(?) on the estuchan in my tub is not facing down :<

Curly Sue