Leaky boards

I have some pine boards that have sappy veins in it and they are leaking sap. Is there any way to clean up the sap that is leaking all over the board (stored standing up)? How do I seal up these gashes after cleaning? Thanks Mike D.
Michael Dobony wrote:

Turpentine or other paint solvent will cut it.
Shellac will seal them

Agreed. Turpentine is the natural solvent for pine rosin. And shellac is the basis for Killz and Zinnser's blocking type primers.
Joe
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 19:21:29 -0500, Michael Dobony

Mineral spirits and a rag will remove the tar and not harm the wood. Shellac is the chosen one for sealing this kind of leakage but I wouldn't expect it to hold up against a lot of sappy wood over years of time. Several coats of shellac might do it. I might cut out sappy sections or use the boards as a "secondary wood" where leakage is not a big deal (garage/closet shelving, birdhouses, construction, etc) . Expect your cutting tools will need a good cleaning after cutting through sap pockets, for that, kerosene. Or, save all the extra work, consider buying clear boards.