Leaky A/C question

Hi. I've had the A/C repair people come over to my condo about 5 times and this problem has not been resolved. They replaced the pump and pan at least 3 times and they also did some suctioning. It still leaks from the ceiling to my bathroom floor. Any ideas on what the problem can be and what I can do about it? Thanks.

Reply to
John Smith

Could it be condensation? If the cold air duct is in a moist environment, there will be condensation. Insulating the duct could help.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Hire a pro not a ho, see where it overflows and you will know.

Reply to
m Ransley

I believe it's "hoe".

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Thanks for the reply. Is this something I can do myself? If so, is there a link to a website where I can find out how? If it's a job for a professional do you have any idea how much it should cost? Thanks again.

Reply to
John Smith

The first thing you need to replace is your a/c service company. Try to replace them with one that knows what they are doing. If the first "pump and pan" didn't solve the problem, why did they think a second and third would. No one is going to be able to diagnose your problem without seeing it, or at least having a lot more information. Not flamin ya, but your post is like asking "My car won't start. I have replaced the ignition switch 3 times. What could be the matter with it?" Does it leak al the time it is running, or does it seem to go ok for a while, then lets loose with a bunch of water? About all you can do yourself at this time (and the same place a pro would start also) is to look at it when it is leaking, pinpoint exactly where it is coming from, then you can find out why it is coming from there. Of course there are two problems trying to track leaks down: they won't leak when you are watching, and the source of the leak is not always directly above where it comes through the ceiling -- it can drip onto a board or something else and run several feet before finally dripping down to the ceiling.If you need more help, post more info, and you will get more replies. Good luck Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

It depends on how easy it is to get to the duct. I'd explore the crawl space above the bathroom ... if that is possible (might not be in a condo). Or, is there perhaps ceiling access?

If you can get at the duct, then you can go to Lowes or somesuch and buy some insulating wrap.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

There is no crawl space. The lid to the A/C is directly above the bathtub in the ceiling. It sounds like the best way is to go with a pro since I know almost nothing about it. Thanks for you response.

Reply to
John Smith

Yes, it sounds like I definitely need to go with a different A/C company. They didn't even have any ideas as to what the problem could be after all that. It would leak after I'd been running the A/C for at least a few hours. It was more of a slow drip all night as far as I know. I would hear it at night because I placed a bowl under it next to the bathtub. After the last time the guy came the dripping moved to a different place, so that it then started dripping into the bathtub. Now since the weather here has gotten colder I haven't turned on the A/C, just the heater. Of course I have no trouble with the heater. I'm tempted to let the A/C run now anyway so that I can pinpoint the source of the leak as you say. I'm also having trouble determining who should pay for it - me or the A/C company that was apparently contracted by the builder (from whom I purchased the condo) to replace the pump and pan. It's looking like it's going to be me. I guess they didn't do a full diagnosis because just replacing the pump and pan was the only thing they were originally paid to do. Thanks for your response.

Reply to
John Smith

I wonder if there is a spray-on insulating foam that could be applied inside the duct? You might want to do some checking. Good luck.

Reply to
Charles Schuler