Leaking wash machine + large baby poopie = mess

It is turning out to be one of those days...our wash machine (a 1996 Whirlpool top-loader; model #LSC8244DQ0) started leaking underneath the unit this morning. The leak appears to run continuously (the machine was still dripping after turning it off), resulting in a *very* large puddle in our laundry room. On top of that, our 9 month year old just had one of those movements that goes through diaper, "onezie", and pants (looks like we will be washing her clothes by hand).

At any rate, I am wondering:

  1. If anyone has any ideas regarding what the likely source of the leak might be and also whether or not "typical" wash machine repair jobs can be tackled by novices.

  1. Or, if you have any recommendations regarding having a service repairman come to take a look at it (e.g., ballpark expected cost for home servicing, and if it is best to try to contact a Whirlpool service person or if there are likely better options).

Thanks in advance,

john

Reply to
johnfieberg

Turn off the supply water to the machine..........

does the leak stop?

think aobut the installation /situtation; try to isolate the behavior

is the machine off? or are the supply shutoff vavles off/

even after the shutoffs are off the hoses are presurized

witht the valves off, start a warm water wash to de-pressurize th hoses; after the a few seconds shut the machine off leak

check hoses for leaks, bad condition, loose connection at machine

the website will help, get a repair manual ~$15

this fix is probably easy unless you have a rusted out tank; I guessing hoses

the rest of your questions>>>>>>>>>>>>>..yellow pages

my guess on the service call & repair ~$100

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Some public libraries have books which focus on particular brands & models. Appliance parts stores often have them, too. They're sort of like car repair manuals: "Whirlpool, 1990 through 1998, model series so-and-so". So, I'd get on the phone first and find out. I replaced the transmisssion in a washing machine about 10 years ago, using only a book. It wasn't fun or easy, but it was linear and it went exactly as the book said it would. The biggest issue might be whether you have the right tools. If your screwdrivers are hacked up, they'll destroy screw heads and that'll drive you crazy. You may not have the right socket sizes for smaller hex head screws. Although I'm guessing you'll be able to fix your problem by accessing the back, there's always the chance that you might have to remove the top. They're usually held on by clips you can't see, and a stiff paint scraper is usually the tool for popping these clips loose (at which point they fall into the dark recesses of the machine). :-)

So: If you're a two-tool household (ancient screwdriver, hammer), this may not be for you. Or, it could be one of those rare opportunities when you have a great reason to invest in more tools, and the wife won't say boo about it. This assumes, of course, that you successfully fix the machine.

Based on my experience over 25 years (your mileage may vary), the best service I've gotten has come from a small, independently owned appliance dealer with a service department. My wife and I rated it as somewhere between amazing and outstanding, and each visit was better than the last. Stores like this have every reason in the world to impress you, since they need to compete with the chains. Get out the yellow pages and start making calls.

If you're anywhere near Rochester NY, call Netzman's Appliance, in Webster. No need to go any further. Great parts department, too, staffed by a guy who has enormous knowledge of appliance repair and is very helpful to do-it-yourselfers.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I had a similar issue in my Whirlpool top loader. Dont know if the model is the same but I bought it close to '96.

Part # 18, water mixing valve was cracked

Reply to
John

Is the tub inside still full of water?

If so, take a piece of garden hose, fill it with water, and siphon the water in the washing machine into your washtub.

Or bail it out with various containers.

mm