Leaking tar paper

I am re-roofing and have covered the whole roof with 30# tar paper and shingled one side of the house. Yesterday we got a LOT of rain and I had 3-4 leaks on the side of the house only covered in tar paper. 2 of them was pretty bad and left big spots on the ceiling. Should I worry about this and try and find where it was leaking or will the shingles take care of the leaks when I get them up?

Regards Mike

Reply to
Mike Mike

Don't worry. Tar paper is not roofing, it is a final moisture barrier maybe, but it is not intended to provide protection from rain. That is what the roofing does.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Mike Mike,

I would suspect it leaked primarily due to the fact it's just the paper covering it. Could be the wind lifted it some, or even tore the paper, etc. Check around roof jacks, valleys, etc. is the ridge covered? Actually is the entire roof covered 100% completely? Basically just look around up there for the obvious.

Reply to
G Henslee

I'd fire the installer. It shouldn't leak at all. He probably did a very poor job. Probably not enough nails and washers.

But if there was a strong wind, that might explain the leaks.

"Felt shall be fastened down with enough nails or staples to hold it down until the shingles can be applied. Aluminum caps may be used only if aluminum nails are used. "

Reply to
PaulJ