Leaking Sprinkler Valve Assembly

I finished reinstalling a sprinkler valve assembly, but a couple places where there was a threaded screw-on connection are leaking. I did use teflon tape on the threads and hand-tightened as best I could, but still, leaks. Ugh.
Should I use more teflon tape? Is there some product available that you can brush on after assembly to stop the leaks? Should I just apply some PVC cement to the threads and make them permanent attachments?
Thanks in advance.
- Fleemo (who sure ain't much of a plumber!)
<< I did use teflon tape on the threads >>
Teflon tape reduces assembly friction. Pipe dope, Teflon or conventional, is a sealant to compensate for thread irregularites. Now you know why you have leaks, Sometimes used fittings are rather warped , so a more extreme sealant may be required. Nothing wrong here with going to the auto parts store and getting a robust Permatext product to take care of the problem. Good luck.
Joe

So my problem may be remedied by applying "pipe dope" to the fittings? Is that something I can pick up at a Home Depot or similar store? I'm not familiar with Permatext. It's an auto-parts product that would work to seal the threaded PVC valve assemblies? Would I ask the auto-parts dealer for Permatext? Once applied, would I be able to disassemble the fittings, or is it a permanent fix?
Thanks for the input.
<< So my problem may be remedied by applying "pipe dope" to the fittings? >>
Highly likely. Try it first, then go for something meaner if it doesn't quite do it.
<< Is that something I can pick up at a Home Depot or similar store? >>
Widely available at all the box stores, hardware stores, etc.
<< I'm not familiar with Permatext. It's an auto-parts product that would work to seal the threaded PVC valve assemblies? Would I ask the auto-parts dealer for Permatext? >>
The product is Permatex (my misspelling) and is a brand that includes many kinds of gasket compounds and sealants. You can find them at NAPA, Pep Boys, Autozone, etc. These sealants come in hardening (permanent) and non-hardening flavors. HTH
Joe
Thanks for the advice, Joe. I really do appreciate it.
One more question... the valve in question feeds a drip line irrigation system that waters a vegetable garden. Do you think the pipe dope would be dangerous, contaminating the vegetables?
-F