Leaking Sink Waste Disposer

Insinkerator waste disposer( 1/2 horse Emerson Elec.) drips when dish washer runs or when faucet is turned on. Connecting pipe from dish washer and pipe to drain are both dry. Dripping seems to come from the bottom where the power cord exits the unit.
Do these units develope internal leaks? Any similar experiences out there?
Joe G

Look for small rust bubbles around the outside of the unit. Mine is living on borrowed time thanks to JB Weld.

Sounds like the unit has failed internally.
What model? I had an Insinkerator 333 fail & I got it replaced for free.
Double check your model & warranty ......you might be in luck.
cheers Bob

Yes, they can rust out. Had that happen to a Kenmore.
I suggest that you replace it since it will only get worse. The new ones are much quieter.
Check out the InSinkErator Evolution series. I've installed 3 of these for my extended family and we all love 'em.
http://www.insinkerator.com/product/selector.php?navPointer=selector
Some home centers have an InSinkErator display where you can compare the sound level of the various models.
Trust me, the Evolution series is much, much quieter than the Badger series. Sometimes I forget that mine is on until I turn the water off.

Model # is 5-81. It's been in operation for approx. 6 years. I wouldn't suspect there's any warranty left. Internal leakage is the only failure which fits the clues.
Joe G
GROVER wrote:

Hi, Call Support folks. Real warm body answers pretty quick. Maybe the unit is going South.
GROVER wrote:

Most likely the shaft seal located just below the "grinder disk" has worn out.
Not really worth bothering to fix, given the relatively low cost of a new unit.
Though, I did have an Insinkerator start dripping externally when the upper black plastic housing developed a crack on one side last year. I covered that crack with silicon calk which stopped the leak until I had time to buy a new one and install it.
Jeff
Jeffry Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE) The speed of light is 1.8*10e12 furlongs per fortnight.

Why is it most likely to be a shaft seal and not a rust hole?
Ron wrote:

Could be a rust hole, guess I said shaft seal because that's what usually leaks first on car water pumps, hose bibs and such, but those items usually don't corrode thru their bodies because they are so thick.
Maybe the OP will disassemble it and let us know where the leak was coming from.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)