Leaking shut-off valve - emergency fix?

I just replaced a leaking mixing valve for a shower. Before I did the repair, I turned off the hot and cold water at the shut-off valves. I think the seal of one of the shut-off valves is worn. After operating it, the shut-off valve is now leaking -- at a rate of 1 drop every 3 to 4 seconds. I have placed a container under the valve to catch the leak.
Does anyone know what I can do to stop the leak for tonight, short of shutting off water to the whole house? Thanks.
Usually there is a nut on the valve body behind the handle. If you GENTLY tighten this nut a little it should stop the leak. The nut will tigten the valve stem. Good luck.

JB wrote:

Thanks for the advice -- it worked! The nut was surprisingly untight when I adjusted it. I hope that's all there is to it.
Thanks a million!
FYI for future reference and those that google for a similar issue. If tightening packing nut did not solve the original posters question then the next steps would have been as follows:
Shut off water at the main Remove the handle (One screw at the end of the stem) Remove the packing nut (Lefty loosey) Wrap new packing material around stem See http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productIdA153-1366-80793 or http://www.builderdepot.com/browse.ihtml?pid 5185&step=5&prodstoreid35 or http://www.hardwareworld.com/Graphite-Packing-p9W7BD5.aspx Replace nut (Righty tighty) Replace handle Turn on water and check for leaks
is there a packing nut on the valve you can tighten?
marson wrote:

Yes. Another poster suggested the same thing (tightening the nut) and it worked!
Thanks!