leaking shower

Hello all,

Problem: shower leaks down to the room below it.

Background: Removed tiles along the base of the tub under the fixtures, and found some spacing between the tub and the wall so I added some cement to bridge the gap. Re-applied the tiles, grouted and sealed it up.

Things tried: Ran the garden hose up to the room and gave the tiles a good soaking for about ten minutes -- no water leaked. Second, ran the water in the tub(no shower) also for about ten minutes, still no water. Next, I found an old shower head that you can turn the water flow off and ran it for about five minutes, still no water. Took a shower -- found water.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks Em

Reply to
Emmet Cummings

Emmet Cummings wrote: ...

It sounds like it's something that's being moved by the weight of a body in the shower, that's been known to happen. Try stepping in and out of the shower*, and while doing so, look for unintentional "expansion joints", like caulking being moved out of place, or maybe you're slightly getting the drain flange pulled away from the tub?.

(* or just plug the tub and fill it)

HTH.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Check this... I'll guess its a plastic or firberglass shower base. When there is weight on it I'll bet there is some flex to it. Check the following...

- Caulk joints between base and wall that open up when there is weight on it.

- Bad seal between base and drain that opens up when weight on base.

- Bad joint on trap that opens up when weight is on base.

- Crack in base that opens up when it flexes.

If not a bad base or base connection

- Check the caulk around the door. Could be that the splash when you are showering diverts the water differently then if you are just running the shower w/o showering.

- Check the caulk OUTSIDE the shower, where the base meets the floor.

Let me know if I was right

Reply to
Brikp

I took the garden hose, got in the shower and splashed the walls/doors and still nothing.

Thanks for your time, Em

Reply to
Emmet Cummings

I took the garden hose, got in the shower and splashed the walls/doors and still nothing. Even rocked back and forth near the drain.

I did spray the hose onto the doors, which is a lot more water than it would with a shower.

The floor is dry outside the tub, so I'm not sure why the caulking would be a problem.

Thanks for your time, Em

Reply to
Emmet Cummings