Leaking P-Trap

I just replaced a bathroom faucet and when I got done had a small leak at the PVC P-Trap where it comes back up and into the wall. I bought a new one, but must have been a different type because the connecting nut didn't fit (the inside of the tube was flanged). So instead I replaced the original plastic washer on the UP end of the trap with one of the new ones. Still had to use the original trap though. Now I still have a leak but it is considerably less. Shouldn't these all be compatible (as far as the fittings) ?

This is turtle.
All should be compatiable but if the pipe coming out of the wall is in reverse you see what you have there. It is was wrong when it was first installed. It will be wrong 50 years from now.
TURTLE
What TURTLE says is true, but you might try disassembling all the fittings - dry thoroughly - apply Plumber's Putty to everything, and reassemble ... don't overtighten fittings.
The putty will squeeze out all over the place - easily cleaned up - but enough of the goo will (should) remain to seal the joints.
Joe

This is Turtle.
The use of Plumbing putty if fitting will screw on right would be a good choice as to seal leaks off.
TURTLE