Leaking joints of kitchen drain pipe

Recently my kitchen sink started backing up into an old pipe. It was cut and sealed outside at the main drainage pipe. Now the next joint up is leaking. Do I need to replace the whole pipe or seal it? Could a blockage in the drainage line be causing it to back up? I am worried because this pipe is located against the wall of my house and runs thru my utility room with the hot water heater and circuit breakers.
Henley wrote:

A blockage could well be causing it to back up and leak there. Caulk it, maybe, as a temp measure. Jim
Henley wrote:

I suggest you find what was and is causing the blockage and back up. You don't fix a leak caused by a backup by sealing the leak, at least you don't do it if you want it properly fixed. I may have it wrong, but it sounds like you are trying to fix the symptom not the cause. Sort of like sitting on a tack, and taking a pain pill rather than standing up.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit