"leaking" hydraulic jack

I have a hydraulic jack that leaks - loses pressure/oil within a few minutes. The 'release' is a push in button, not a 'twist' screw, so I cannot simply tighten it. Is there anything I can do short of replacement? ---- paul
Paul Oman wrote:

Rebuild it, but if it's an inexpensive consumer-grade jack there are likely no parts available and you're at the luck of the draw that the internal o-rings, etc., are anything you can get from distributors.
Just went thru the problem w/ one here--no parts from the no-name chiwanese maker; not standard-sized to fit w/ generically available.
Did take a larger diameter ring and "force-fit" it by pushing the handle piston (where the leak was) through it--made a slightly rough cut but it holds better than did before altho not perfect.
Problem is, if it's the actual pressure seal instead of just the handle pump piston, even a little is too much.
Yeah, i have a cheap-o one also that has started to leak.
I could jack up autos for hours and no concern. Now I get a few minutes. I guess it's a reminder that a jack is not a jack-stand, but many times it's not easy to find a place to "lift" and the "hold" at the same time.
Kevin wrote:

Easy or not, using only a jack while working w/o a stand or blocking is a statistic waiting to happen...

Guess I live dangerous. With no stand or blocking, once used a jack, pipe and chain to pull a stuck cap off a septic tank :-)

Since a Jack is a male donkey, I suggest you get a veterinarian.
This message was posted by the Democratic party, and we are experts about donkeys !!!!