leaking faucet

bathroom hot water faucet (lever handle type...one cold water & one hot water handle) started leaking...I can manually stop leak by holding it closed with hand, but when released it comes back out a fraction of an inch and very small stream of water starts out. Does this sound like something I can fix by adjusting something or does it sound like washer replacement and cleaning and repacking stem packing is in order.
Frank Thompson wrote:

Cartridge replacement...w/ lever, there isn't a conventional washer/stem...