leak testing new copper repipe with compressed air?

What is the procedure? There are many soldered connections between walls/floors as this is a 2 story home built on slab. Thanks

Reply to
w226477

You cap everything but one convenient place. Then make yourself a test gauge. Make up a fitting which will allow you to tie onto a hose from your air compressor, a ball valve, a tee with a air gauge on one side and transition to copper on the other. You should be able to get all of this at a hardware store. Solder it into your system. Close the valve, and hook up the air. Crack the valve until the gauge reads twice the working pressure of the system, then close the valve. 60 psi is probably OK.. There is a certain number that they will allow-- I don't remember the numbers--so many pounds in so many minutes, but when I have done it for myself, I've been able to get them to hold perfectly.

Reply to
marson

turn main valve off, adapt garden hose fitting to compressor to check cold, and do the same for hot at a wash tub.

you may have trouble finding leaks when using air.

water lets you know where the leak is

Reply to
hallerb

The problem with using water is that if you have a leak, you have to drain all of the water back out to repair the fitting. Then refill again to test. Most leaks when testing with air are pretty obvious. Use your ears to find them. I would suggest air testing first, and if you have a leak that you can't locate, use water.

Reply to
marson

=EF=BF=BDClose

And the water can be applied to the outside of the pipe. Use soapy water as it makes bubbles so it's easier to find the leak.

RicodJour