Leaf Shredder

I am in the market for a leaf shredder....the kind you feed the leaves into....not the lawn mower attachments. I don't need to chip branches, just shred leaves. Any recommendations?

Thanks!!

Reply to
Joe V

bamboo

If they still make them I would suggest a gas blower with the shred feature. I get about a 10-1 volume reduction using mine. For leaves it does a far better job than the yard machine type. The only gotcha is that the leaves need to be fairly dry which can be a problem some places in the Fall.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Joe V wrote in news:uz7qg.2107$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

We bought one and used it once. It was junk. It shook itself apart. We returned and got our money back. It was so long ago I don't remember the name. Just be sure you buy a quality brand.

Reply to
ktos

snipped-for-privacy@localnet.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@h44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

If you have many leaves they will be too much for a mower. I broke my mower doing this method.

Reply to
Pasar

I second Colbyt's suggestion. I have a Homelite gas blower with vacuum attachment. Shreds those leaves up nicely. If you go this route, get a feel for the different blowers - I have to bend over farther than I'd like when using the vacuum, and my back gets very tired. If the vacuum tube were just a bit taller, it would be ideal.

Joe V wrote:

Reply to
Squanklin

I'd vote for the bagging attachment for the mower vis a vis a shredder or blower only for leaves...

Despite what someone said, can't fathom there being a problem unless that person was trying to continue to blow a pile all the way across a yard. W/ the bagger, they're picked up and in small enough pieces to make a sizable reduction in volume. Plus, the task is simple enough and quick enough one can do it a couple of times during the season instead of putting it off until they're all down.

Only thing had difficulty w/ is the acorns--the blade suction just not quite enough to pick them up. Damp (up to the point of being so wet as to not be able to pick them up at all) isn't really a problem--actually is a benefit in dust reduction although the bags can get pretty heavy if let them get completely full...

Reply to
dpb

Reply to
bamboo

I made the "mulcher attachment" out of a business size envelope, taped at the ends to the mower. Unfortunately, it has to be replaced every fall. But I guess since the op is asking now, he wants to do this not just in the fall.

It's hard for me to imagine how leaves could break the mower. I've had many many times when high or wet grass cause the mower to stall, but it never damaged anything.

Reply to
mm

Get one that lowers in the intake shoot (hopper) to the ground so you can rake the leaves into it. It's a lot easier on the spinal column.

Reply to
Phisherman

I have an electric leaf shredder from Sears that's served me faithfully for over 15 years. It's an inverted string trimmer mounted in an hourglass shaped housing that has legs or sets on a garbage can. It seems to reduce the volume of 5 containers of leaves to about 1 container of mulch. Replacing line and dragging around the extension cord are the only drawbacks but then I only use it for Fall leaf cleanup.

Reply to
tom

buy a good mulching mower

Reply to