leaf blower switch repair

My electric leaf blower stopped working and I found the switch has gone bad. The switch is a slider switch with 3 positions: off, low, hi. In the low setting a diode (actually two diodes in parallel) is inserted to cut the power in half.

Here are photos of the blower with the switch:

The unit draws 14A max.

I don't like slider switch so I'm thinking of replacing it with a SPDT toggle switch with center-off. I will cut a piece of plastic or metal to cover the hole where the slider switch is, and drill a round hole to put the new toggle switch there.

(image of toggle switch)

The power plug also gives me problem from time to time. It makes a loose connection with most extension cords. I plan to replace it with a short power cord that dangles out of the unit, like most new leaf blowers. This would reduce vibration at the plug. I will use a cord with 3-prong plug for better gripping the extension cord.

Lastly, there's a small gap in the blowing chamber near the switch covered by a piece of foam. What is this for? My guess is to put some air pressure into the switch compartment to reduce dust entry?

Any suggestions on the repair?

Reply to
bob