Leaf blower seized

Brand new Craftsman leaf blower, used only a few hours so far. In the middle of a job it just stopped, and the pull crank won't move.
It didn't seem to be sputtering or having running problems up to this point. But when this happened, the engine seemed to be unusually hot.
Tomorrow I'm opening it up with an Allen wrench for the hell of it (unless that would void my warranty; I haven't found the paperwork yet), but why might this happen? Wrong oil mixture?
Warranty is probably already void anyway. if it seized from a lean condition (improper oil) you are on your own. Taking it apart can void the warranty. Just pull the spark plug out and look in cylinder. use a light to look inside for scoring. if it is scored buy a new one.

wrong oil mixture? you're asking that as a question? its brand new, didnt you read the manual? anyway, sure sounds like a seized engine to me...
randy
xrongor wrote:

Ditto. It can happen in an instant if oil mix was off. Tony
Dan Hartung wrote:

If it is new and YOU did not screw it up by not using oil in a four cycle or not using the proper oil-gas mix in a two cycle then it is Sears problem don't try to fix it for them.
However, my guess is it was your fault for not reading the instructions about oil mix and you did serious damage to it. It may not be worth repairing at this point.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
What was the oil mix you used, or was it a 4 stroke and the crankcase - tank is empty. I would not open it . get it to crank, return it. You cant Find the " paperwork" you mean you didnt read the manual, right. If it siezed it melted to sieze. Permanently ruined even if you get it to turn.

steal candy from a baby they are small, cant fight back or tell anyone, its a easy crime... You should try being honest if you screwed up you screwed up.

Dr Booob how do you Know he screwed up, you dont you Boob ya never heard of a defect Eh. Well in 75 Ford recalled more cars then they sold. Mine got a Free motor from a defect, they Forgot a oil hole. Google Recall bozo thousands to start your education.
m Ransley wrote:

Your original response
"I would not open it . get it to crank, return it. You cant Find the " paperwork" you mean you didnt read the manual, right. If it siezed it melted to sieze. Permanently ruined even if you get it to turn."
Does not sound like you were suggesting the honest approach. It does it suggest you thought the original poster damaged it however.
I have to agree with Dr. Bob. I suspect most readers do.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Well, I expected to get spanked for bringing this to the group. I did *read* the instructions and *tried* to follow them, but simply made a mistake at some point (probably used the wrong gas can). There's plenty of reasons why I made that mistake so I don't feel too bad about it, and the overall cost here was just about $80 so it's an affordable lesson.
Dan Hartung wrote:

it under warranty. The repair guy claimed I failed to mix the proper oil to gas ratio. I told him I've been using two cycle motors longer than he has been alive and never had a seizure before. I am beginning to believe that a 40 to 1 ratio is a border line lubrication and the ratios are stretched that far to reduce emissions. I've been using 16 to 1 in every two cycle for the past 6 years without any trouble. Don't open it up or you will void the warranty.

Some engine manufacturers will let you use a 40 or 50:1 with a synthetic oil. I prefer to err on the side of too much oil also. It may cause a little plug fouling also, but it is easer to clean a plug than to rebuild the engine. Ed
Ratios leaner than 32-1 ex 40 0r 50-1 were brought about by Ca pollution laws , Mnfg companys trying to apease EPA officials that 2 stroke can pollute less. Problem being motor design didnt change, and cant. Evenrude backed off lean ratios from seizures. 32-1 is safest.
tomcas wrote:

We got the extended super-warranty, I think (not my choice, but it might save things this time).
I note that 16:1 is considered standard in some of the older repair literature I have lying around. I'm willing to admit that I screwed up (probably distracted by the care of an emotionally disturbed child), but I also suspect that 40:1 as a ratio is a "no screw-up allowed" ratio. I didn't do anything different with the older blower we had, and it lasted until it rattled apart.
> Don't open it

I didn't.
Well in this neck of the woods certain trees drop these hard round balls - they are like huge sand spurs. If you were in vacuum mode and sucked it one of these it will definitely jam up the motor. If you were just in blower mode than I suspect an oil problem.
On Sat, 29 May 2004 23:32:17 -0500, Dan Hartung