Laying slate tile over lino paper?

I removed the old linoleum, but the paper and the glue under the paper is still there. Can I use a polymodified thinset over this to lay the slate. Ita on a cement slab.

Thanks for your advice

Reply to
85Capri

If you've used a razor type scraper and can no longer remove the paper backing, and you're sure the glue is tightly holding the paper backing to the floor, the polymer modified thinset will work.

In an ideal world, a professional like myself uses an air powered sharp scraper blade to remove everything down to the cement, but if you're a homeowner and you've done about all you can removing that vinyl, what you want to do is a reasonable compromise. You always take a risk not removing that backing, but it's up to you to make a judgement that the backing is not loose, but is still tightly bonded to the floor.

thetiler

Reply to
thetiler

wow whats the matter mommy didn't give you enough praise as a child you always seem to toot your own horn.

most professionals don't do this. we get satisfaction through our satisfied customers.

Reply to
the sagacious dolt

Reply to
thetiler

You couldn't be a professional. First if you were, you'd appreciate how I try to help people here. Somehow my helpfulness aggrevates you, so you must be jealous of me for some reason, or just a jerk in general. Secondly a professional wouldn't sabotage the posts of a helpful person like me...they would recognize my helpfulness and have the best interest of all the questioners in mind. Somehow you only think of yourself, post stupid stuff anonymously without any regard to how much your mis-information leads questioners away from good information they're getting.

Bottom line, I think you are a wannabe home depot installer or something, wishing you could be a real professional like others here (including myself), somehow obsessed with posting stupid childish little jabs. The way you mis-quote people you are insulting shows you have no integrity, which I'm sure reflects on your work ethic. Go away or start being helpful to the posters.

Have a nice day!

thetiler

Reply to
thetiler

still you do you type alot but don't say much why waste time and bandwidth

| > wow | > whats the matter | > mommy didn't give you enough praise as a child | > you always seem to toot your own horn. | >

| > most professionals don't do this. | > we get satisfaction through our satisfied customers. |

Reply to
the sagacious dolt

Thanks, I took up alot of it. Every tile will be on 65% of the slab.

Thanks again

Reply to
85Capri

What's important is that the remaining "backing" is not loose. Sometimes it can appear bonded but the adhesive will have let go. If unsure you can poke at it here and there with a sharp screwdriver to locate loose pockets of unbonded adhesive.

thetiler

85Capri wrote:
Reply to
thetiler

You type little and say nothing worthwhile.

Reply to
thetiler

what's an air powered scraping blade? I'm afraid to ask at my supply house.

Reply to
kellyj00