Laying Self-Stick Vinyl Tiles over Asbestos Mastic?

I originally planned to install new 12 x 12 self-sticking vinyl floor tiles over the 50 year old 9 x 9 tiles in my bathroom. I thought I could re-glue the few loose original tiles. Once I got started pulling up the ones I KNEW were loose, I discovered almost all the others were also loose enough to where they would easily pop up if I ran a putty knife under their edges. So, wearing a 3M fabric face mask and gloves, I easily took up all the tiles. What I have now is a bare concrete floor with a thin, dry coating of old black mastic firmly attached to it. I'm not wild about trying to scrape it off because of the possiblilty that it contains asbestos. The mastic is relatively smooth; it doesn't have the high ridges from notched trowels like you see behind wall tiles.

What is the chance that the premium Cryntel Self-Adhering Vinyl Floor Tiles I bought at Lowe's will satisfactorily stick if I lay them directly on top of the old black mastic?

The Cryntel instruction sheet mentions priming concrete subfloors with Latex Floor Primer. But it also recommends scraping subfloor first to remove "materials that might prevent adhesion". Like I said, I'm not wild about scraping the old mastic.

So, what should I do.....try applying the new tiles to the floor as is (over the old black mastic), or buy some Latex Floor Primer to paint over the black mastic?

Reply to
Josh

Josh wrote: ...

Neither until you prep the floor properly...

--

Reply to
dpb

Agreed- self stick tile (which I would never use, personally- seen too much float around), needs a smooth floor to work. Any irregularities will telegraph through, the joints won't be tight, etc. Anybody know if self-stick will stick to self-leveling floor compound?

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Since this is a bathroom, why not return the vinyl tiles and install ceramic tiles? The floor just needs to be resonably smooth, not perfect. The thinset will take care of irregularities. I had the same situation in my den, had 9X9 tiles that came up and left black mastic on the floor. Installed ceramic tiles over it with thinset, no problems after 5 years. Rock solid.

Reply to
Mike rock

ceramic tiles?

Judging from other houses I've seen lately, I must be the only person in the U.S. who is not a fan of ceramic floor tiles. Never liked it!

But I appreciate your input about putting thinset (or, probably more appropriate in this case) Armstrong vinyl tile adhesive down over the black mastic. I had considered relaying the 9x9 tiles I took up, since 90% of them are intact. It's good to know the thinset will hold them to the black mastic. That would keep whatever asbestos is down there in check. Then I could lay the new self-stick vinyl ones on top of the secure old tiles.....my original plan anyway.

Reply to
Josh

mockingbird had written this in response to

: Josh, what did you end up doing? I have the exact same situation-- I pulled up some of the existing tiles, only to find the black mastic underneath, and am wishing I had never pulled them up so that I could just install the self-stick tiles over the previous tiles. I also don't want to try to scrape up the black stuff--- it's practically become "one" with the concrete. Please-- tell me what you did and how it's worked so far. I don't know WHAT to do!!!

-- Mockingbird

Josh wrote:

-------------------------------------

Reply to
mockingbird

:

Don't scrape because it won't come up anyway! I installed a Roma Stone

18"x18" Saturnia self stick tile. First I took up the old tile (use mask and gloves and no fans) the mastic was stuck to the concrete. I wiped the mastic with a low odor mineral spirits which softens the mastic (let it dry). Note the vinyl would not stick to the mastic. Then I applied a thinset over the mastic and let it dry. After the thinset was completely dry I applied (used paint roller) the vinly adhesive primer and let it dry. I then layed the tile and grouted it. For a diy grandma of 60 the floor looks absolutey beautiful! Hope this helped!

Reply to
newtonsrb

I had some old linoleum tiles in my basement and they too were coming loose. I did not have black mastic underneath them but some yellow snot-colored stuff, so I didn't have the exact same situation. What got that up was pouring some "floor stripper" bought at the Despot in a 10 gallon container full strength on the floor then scrubbing and rinsing with hot water. Had to suck it up with my shop vac as no floor drain. What a mess! I had a fire extinguisher nearby just on the off chance that the stuff lit off because it obviously contained a lot of volatile aromatic hydrocarbons and also kept all the windows open so as not to get a contact buzz off the stuff.

I'm not looking forward to doing the other half of the basement, as I expect that the carpet was laid over the same crap, and eventually I think we want to go to tile and rugs rather than permanent carpet.

nate

Reply to
N8N