laying marble flloor tile

Hello, i am about to start a floor tile project and was considering using marble tile. I have done a few ceramic jobs in the past and was wondering if it is the same procedure. Do i need different thinset? Is staggering tiles a nice effect or does it just mean more cuts? Any advice appreciated. Regards, Steve

Reply to
steve

No expert, just did a few marble jobs. Procedure pretty much the same. Don't use the gray thinset, as I found from this group, as it bleed through the marble - use the white thinset for marble. Staggering in a straight row shouldn't have that much more cuts. Shouldn't even be an issue if you have a

10" wet saw. If your marble is larger than your previous ceramic than its more critical to get the floor flat and even. I think 12" x 12" should be as large of a tile you should do until you do a few more projects. I'm doing some large slabs and have a Hilti 14" walk behind saw on back order. Hope I don't butcher the project.
Reply to
** Frank **

Steve,

A great site for info and help is the forums at

noname87

I just did my bathroom with 12 x 12 marble tiles at 1/8" spacing. There is special marble thinset. Most marble is set with very thin grout lines and matching grout to achive a continuous look. Since the tiles also have no beveled edges, lippage is a real concern. I found it helps to set several tiles at once, 4 in a square works good to start, so you can level across all of them at one time.

If this is for a bathroom consider a heated floor system, I used Sun Touch from Lowes and really love the gentle warmth on my feet.

Reply to
DT

pretty much....yes ...........same procedures tile is tile.

Do i need different thinset?

white thinset for granite.......NOT GREY

Is staggering tiles a nice effect

"subway tile" style is fine if that is the look you want (looks like bricklay).

does it just mean more cuts?

same amount of cuts

now.........diagonal staggered grout joints is more cuts and looks awesome.

| Any advice appreciated. | Regards, | Steve | |

Reply to
3G

What would you suggest for a threshold for marble meeting an oak floor. I checked out home depot and found some oak trim that would work but it is only 3/8" thick and i need at least 3/4". thanks

Reply to
steve

Have you checked HD special order?

Frankly, I just mill my own if you have the woodworking equipment - table saw, router, planer and a finish sander.

Reply to
** Frank **

install a strip of 1/2 in. plywood in door way then lay the threshhold on it. making the height 7/8 in. +/- thick

| > pretty much....yes ...........same procedures | > tile is tile. | >

| > Do i need different thinset? | >

| > white thinset for granite.......NOT GREY | >

| > Is staggering tiles a nice effect | >

| > "subway tile" style is fine if that is the look you want (looks like | > bricklay). | >

| > does it just mean more cuts? | >

| > same amount of cuts | >

| > now.........diagonal staggered grout joints is more cuts and looks | > awesome. | >

| > | Any advice appreciated. | > | Regards, | > | Steve | > | | > | | >

| |

Reply to
3G