Lay-Z-boy recliner foot mechanism chair is stuck in up position

Our Lay-Z-boy recliner, which is extra-tall, and made in Monroe, Michigan, is stuck in the upright position. I mean the foot mechanism will not got down. I have turned the chair on its side and have looked and looked and can't find where it it stuck at. Has this every happened to anyone? Any idea what usually goes wrong in these cases? I have called Lay-Z-boy and did not a definitive solution. So our Lay-Z-boy remains in the up position all the time, which is very difficult to get in and out of. The extension part for the extra length is okay, that part does retract, but still can't put the chair mechanism down. Thanks! John
This post surprised me. I just had the same problem. Amazingly I sprayed WD40 everywhere underneath and it has worked fine ever since. Try it.
Jethro.

Must be nice sitting in it eating a sandwich. Like clearance scented candles :-)
Better stick to stinky lunchmeat or garlic spam for a while.
If the WD40 doesn't fix it, you can always try duck tape :>)
Not sure if your chair is anything like mine, but if you can't see anything stuck the problem is probably elecrical, not mechanical. The remote is the first thing that comes to mind: the button that moves the leg rest could be dirty or malfunctioning.
Does the leg rest part even tries to move? If yes, then something could be actually stuck, but if doesn't I would check the electrical connections underneath. Mine has a couple of wires that can be unplugged or worse cut off if caught in between metal.
Hope this helps some. BTW shame on Lay-Z-boy for leaving you hanging . They should do and know better. Good luck
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

I've got one you can have if that helps. Our cat ruined the upholstery, leaving it worthless. You pay shipping and it's yours.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Isn't the mechansim guaranteed forever?

It happened to me ...it was a little wire about 8 inches long connecting two pieces together we went to a furniture store where we bought our sofa and the saleman gave us a new one from a supply he keeps on hand. Hope this helps...
CathyLee

replying to CathyLee, dls wrote: Amazing! WD-40 really works. My husband didn't believe me when I said to try this method, but sure enough it worked!
On 05/07/2016 08:44 AM, dls wrote:

You go, girl! It's all about women being right!
On 5/7/2016 11:06 AM, Hildabeast wrote:

You showed that stuck up chair a thing or two.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 5/7/2016 11:06 AM, Hildabeast wrote:

"Woman show man how to put his foot (rest) down".
Should be headlines all across the nation.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 5/7/2016 10:44 AM, dls wrote:

Is that what you use if you have an erection lasting more than four hours?

No....you use a picture of Hillary : )
On 5/7/2016 6:31 PM, ChairMan wrote:

If your arthritis persists, do you rub in some Ben Ghazi?
It was a long time ago. What difference, after all, does it make?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

lets hope someone beats hillary
groups.j.. :
Does this chair have a handle on one side? Go into maximum recline, and with your hand on the handle try to come up, pushing the handle while leaning forward. Got many an old one to return to upright at the second hand stores this way.