Lay-Z-boy recliner foot mechanism chair is stuck in up position

Our Lay-Z-boy recliner, which is extra-tall, and made in Monroe, Michigan, is stuck in the upright position. I mean the foot mechanism will not got down. I have turned the chair on its side and have looked and looked and can't find where it it stuck at. Has this every happened to anyone? Any idea what usually goes wrong in these cases? I have called Lay-Z-boy and did not a definitive solution. So our Lay-Z-boy remains in the up position all the time, which is very difficult to get in and out of. The extension part for the extra length is okay, that part does retract, but still can't put the chair mechanism down. Thanks! John

Reply to
groups.johnsmith

This post surprised me. I just had the same problem. Amazingly I sprayed WD40 everywhere underneath and it has worked fine ever since. Try it.

Jethro.

Reply to
Jethro

If the WD40 doesn't fix it, you can always try duck tape :>)

Not sure if your chair is anything like mine, but if you can't see anything stuck the problem is probably elecrical, not mechanical. The remote is the first thing that comes to mind: the button that moves the leg rest could be dirty or malfunctioning.

Does the leg rest part even tries to move? If yes, then something could be actually stuck, but if doesn't I would check the electrical connections underneath. Mine has a couple of wires that can be unplugged or worse cut off if caught in between metal.

Hope this helps some. BTW shame on Lay-Z-boy for leaving you hanging . They should do and know better. Good luck

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote

Reply to
Carpenter

I've got one you can have if that helps. Our cat ruined the upholstery, leaving it worthless. You pay shipping and it's yours.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Stubby

Isn't the mechansim guaranteed forever?

Reply to
Art

Jethro wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Must be nice sitting in it eating a sandwich. Like clearance scented candles :-)

Better stick to stinky lunchmeat or garlic spam for a while.

Reply to
Al Bundy

So the salesman will say over and over, but when you make a claim they will tell you it is only for manufacturing defects, not for wear ----- useless warranty, all hype with no protection.

Reply to
EXT

It happened to me ...it was a little wire about 8 inches long connecting two pieces together we went to a furniture store where we bought our sofa and the saleman gave us a new one from a supply he keeps on hand. Hope this helps...

CathyLee

Reply to
CathyLee

replying to CathyLee, dls wrote: Amazing! WD-40 really works. My husband didn't believe me when I said to try this method, but sure enough it worked!

Reply to
dls

You go, girl! It's all about women being right!

Reply to
Hildabeast

You showed that stuck up chair a thing or two.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Woman show man how to put his foot (rest) down".

Should be headlines all across the nation.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Is that what you use if you have an erection lasting more than four hours?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No....you use a picture of Hillary : )

Reply to
ChairMan

groups.j.. :

Does this chair have a handle on one side? Go into maximum recline, and with your hand on the handle try to come up, pushing the handle while leaning forward. Got many an old one to return to upright at the second hand stores this way.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

If your arthritis persists, do you rub in some Ben Ghazi?

It was a long time ago. What difference, after all, does it make?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

lets hope someone beats hillary

Reply to
ChairMan

replying to groups.johnsmith, Rick O wrote: Lubrication fixed the problem. To avoid the smell of WD40, I used Pledge spray wax, and it worked immediately. Pledge & similar spray wax also work great for lubricating door hinges, etc.

Reply to
Rick O

I knew as soon as I opened this post and saw the original date of SEPTEMBER 2006 it had to be one of those dummies from Home Moaners.

Psst: John Smith got so pissed at his recliner he drug it out side and set fire to it. He has since replaced annoying recliner.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

replying to Rick O, DavidinFLL wrote: Used WD40 on the ratchet assembly and it worked like a charm! For how long, I don't know, but for now it works!

Reply to
DavidinFLL