lawnmowerclass

Just saw the ad on TV. Wasn't this the subject of a LONG thread here at one time?

Reply to
JimT

I'll be filing my claim(s) as soon as I get home and get the numbers off of my mowers.

I've got a walk behind Honda and a riding Craftsman. That could mean $110 in the ole pocket and maybe some extended warranties.

One thing to note:

The settlement includes this clause:

"If claims exceed the amount available for Cash Benefits, the cash payments will be reduced on a proportional basis so that all valid claims can be paid."

Since we're talking about a substantial percentage of the mowers purchased in the last 15 years, that's a lot of claims - if we all file.

Hey - let's try and keep this thing quiet so we all get the maximum award.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Hey - let's try and keep this thing quiet so we all get the maximum award.

========

That might be a problem since they are running ads . I only brought it up because I thought there was a heated thread (my favorite kind) on the question of HP measurement. I bought a mower around that time but it is a Troy Bilt and it works okay.

Reply to
JimT

Yeah, there have been numorous threads about HP ratings, many of them related to Shop Vacs.

The way I always heard it was that many companies (especially Sears) listed the "peak" HP the vac would achieve in that brief instance between the time you jammed a screwdriver into the impeller and the time the motor fried itself.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Peak RPM times peak torque, never mind that the two measurements aren't taken simultaneously.

Reply to
krw

Heck; gas lawn mowers have no class anyway! Crude devices comprising a a noisy rough and ready small engine whirling a horizontal blade. Some people even wear ear protection while mowing, they are so noisy. Gas mowers often subject to local noise ordinances, times of use etc.. S'long as it cuts grass and is simple and reliable; forget all the gadgets and ratings. If it does the job and cheaply that's fine. Over the last 50 (two homes) years we have probably spent no more than $500, including the purchase of one 'new' machine ($125 some 15-20 years ago IIRC) and a number of used ones and the odd repair. Seem to recall donating one engine with a jammed piston to a small engine repair course at the local tech. and got it back afterwards working! So $10 per year ain't bad? The mower rebuilt last year using neighbours old engine on another base looks set for another few years by which time will be 80+ and maybe not mowing my own grass?

Reply to
terry

The point of the above is...

Cheaply is one answer, but not always a simple one. Ho good of a job it does is another interesting data point. I rather like my Honda but it is just a lawn mower.

If you like butchered lawns, perhaps. ;-)

Or looking at it from the wrong side.

Reply to
krw