Lawnmower will not run on its own. Unless helped with starting fluid.

Hi I have a craftsman 4.0 HP 917-388260 that wont run on its own. Ive compl etely disassembled the carburetor and soaked it overnight in solvent then s prayed it aggressively with carburetor cleaner. All parts are clean and all holes appear to be clear including the jet. But it still wont run! Ive got fresh fuel and it is getting to the carb because I pull the bowl off and t here gas in it. Any help would be highly appreciated!! Thanks!

Reply to
bbfitch

What do you mean by "on it's own"? Does it run with human assistance? If so, what kind of assistance. Seems to me to be a governor problem. Spring broke, etc. Might be a stuck valve. If a bulb primer, could have a pin hole in it. To narrow it down, knowing if it runs at all would help.

** Lonesome Dove
Reply to
Lonesome Dove

The couple of "starts only if snort of ether" lawn mowers I've serviced, the problem has been leaky or missing gasket between the carb and the side of the engine body.

Please install said gasket if missing. If gasket is there, don your surgical scrubs and disposable gloves and seal the gasket on both sides with Permatex IIb non hardening gasket sealer. The stuff takes days to wear off your hands. (Alcohol drygas removes the stuff.)

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

On 8/12/2013 1:24 PM, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote: Hi I have a craftsman 4.0 HP 917-388260 that wont run on its own. Ive completely disassembled the carburetor and soaked it overnight in solvent then sprayed it aggressively with carburetor cleaner. All parts are clean and all holes appear to be clear including the jet. But it still wont run! Ive got fresh fuel and it is getting to the carb because I pull the bowl off and there gas in it. Any help would be highly appreciated!! Thanks!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I may have sent the wrong information. Looking again. After the squirt of ether, does it start and run, does it start and die?

Apologies if I read your post correctly.

. Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

On 8/12/2013 1:24 PM, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote: Hi I have a craftsman 4.0 HP 917-388260 that wont run on its own. Ive completely disassembled the carburetor and soaked it overnight in solvent then sprayed it aggressively with carburetor cleaner. All parts are clean and all holes appear to be clear including the jet. But it still wont run! Ive got fresh fuel and it is getting to the carb because I pull the bowl off and there gas in it. Any help would be highly appreciated!! Thanks!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I would not recommend using ether, it burns quite hot and may burn a valve.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Actually, the danger is the fast pressure build of ether combustion which can damage the cyl head - blow the head gasket, or pull the studs..

Used carefully it can be safe.

Reply to
clare

Unless the engine is partly flooded or the spark is weak - in which case ether lights a LOT easier than gasoline.

That said,

My first teaching experience came because the regular teacher stupidly poured gas down the carb of a 6 cyl chevy while cranking it, trying to get it to start. It backfired and lit the gas in the small container he was pouring from, and he pulled back, splashing the now burning gas all over his arm and chest --------. If he had been using ether it would have been a flash, and that would have been it. He may have lost some hair and got a "sun-burn". This way he was off work for 7 months.

Reply to
clare

I's also wonder if he blew the carb out with compressed air? Removed any welch plugs that need to be removed to get to ALL the orifices? I doubt just soaking it in carb cleaner is enough if it's been gummed up.

Reply to
trader4

pletely disassembled the carburetor and soaked it overnight in solvent then sprayed it aggressively with carburetor cleaner. All parts are clean and a ll holes appear to be clear including the jet. But it still wont run! Ive g ot fresh fuel and it is getting to the carb because I pull the bowl off and there gas in it. Any help would be highly appreciated!! Thanks!

check the flywheel brake, my weedeater lawnmower would disengage the brake properly, if you poured gas into the carb, it'd run fine, but if it turned off, you had to move the brake over and repeat the process. I replaced the braking mechanism, now it runs like a charm

Reply to
kyleiscool4292