Lawnmower that will not start

Page 2 of 2

Is there a choke? Does it close completely? If you have a way to squirt gas into the carb, do so, start it, and give it an additional squirt each time it starts to die. After several seconds, it might operate on its own. It might be possible to unplug jets with a fine wire and some careful probeing.
Bob
Well, folks, I'm about to give up on the edger, for the time being. I have taken it completely apart, cleaned with carburetor cleaner and compressed air (gently), and still it won't run (unless I squirt gas down the spark plug hole, and then for only 5-10 seconds). I would like to perhaps buy a carburetor kit, but Sears wants to sell the entire carburetor for ~$70.00.
I was wondering if anyone knew of a Craftsman to Briggs and Stratton (I think that is who made this engine, but I'm not sure) cross reference resource? I have the Craftsman engine serial number, and if I could contact a B&S retailer, perhaps they have a carburetor kit that might work for this carb. Thanks again for everyone's advice and suggestions, Richard
I had a similar problem with a Mac weedeater; Good spark, good, clean fuel, etc. After about a year of hair pulling, I found the exhaust muffler was clogged. Cleaned it out and it runs like a top. Maybe......

Flat gasket between carb and motor.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Hit it with a little starting fluid and see if she fires. If she doesn't, then that rules out bad gas / gummed up carb.
Timing could be off (sheared soft key) or plug could be fouled.
Small engines are relatively cheap. You might be better off buying new model...
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info