Lawnmower that will not start

Check the specs to make sure the carb adjustments are in the correct range. Is there a choke? Does it close completely? If you have a way to squirt gas into the carb, do so, start it, and give it an additional squirt each time it starts to die. After several seconds, it might operate on its own. It might be possible to unplug jets with a fine wire and some careful probeing.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Well, folks, I'm about to give up on the edger, for the time being. I have taken it completely apart, cleaned with carburetor cleaner and compressed air (gently), and still it won't run (unless I squirt gas down the spark plug hole, and then for only 5-10 seconds). I would like to perhaps buy a carburetor kit, but Sears wants to sell the entire carburetor for ~$70.00.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a Craftsman to Briggs and Stratton (I think that is who made this engine, but I'm not sure) cross reference resource? I have the Craftsman engine serial number, and if I could contact a B&S retailer, perhaps they have a carburetor kit that might work for this carb. Thanks again for everyone's advice and suggestions, Richard

Reply to
Richard

I worked on an edger one time, the gasket was missing in between the carb and the engine. If that gasket is missing, it draws air instead of gas/ air mix from the carb.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

WAIT!!!!!

Spraying ether in the spark hole can dry out the cylinder wall and kill the thing. A "helpful" neighbor killed my Dad's $500 Coleman generator that way. Threw a piston rod through the side of the motor.

Spray the ether into the air intake, or onto the foam or paper filter.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Flat gasket between carb and motor.

Reply to