Lawnmower Squeals

Page 2 of 2

I've done a couple. Really not a dificult task.
Oh, forgot. While you have the motor cover off. The engine is air cooled, so you'll be doing the motor a favor to clean off any dirt or dust.
Tip the mower onto the side, and drain the old oil out. Should take about 20 ounces of new oil. Oil change is cheap, and really helps the motor last as long as possible. Use good quality oil. 10-w-30 is fine.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Yep, I've seen this before. The repair technique follows:
Remove the three bolts that hold the motor cover on. Typically 7/16 wrench. Sometimes also a bolt to get the motor cover off the throttle cable.
Lift motor cover off.
In the center of the the flywheel is a clutch, which looks like this:
TinyURL was created! The following URL:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BRIGGS-STRATTON-RECOIL-STARTER-CLUTCH-7 - 8-HP-NEW_W0QQitemZ7567963290QQcmdZViewItem
has a length of 102 characters and resulted in the following TinyURL which has a length of 25 characters: http://tinyurl.com/yywj4n
For the next part of the operation, you'll need small screwdriver, and a magnet. Use the small screw driver to remove the ring around the shaft. Then pull the almost-square sleeve off the top of the crank shaft.
Use a magnet to remove the five or six ball berrings, set them aside.
Use some solvent to clean the crankshaft which is now exposed. Solvent and cotton swabs to clean inside the almost-square part.
Lube inside the almost square part, with something that won't gum up. Silicone is good, or maybe silicone and dry graphite mix.
Slide almost-square part back on crankshaft. Replace ballb errings. Replace round cover. Replace motor cover, snug in the bolts.
Shuold be good to go for a few more years.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Lawnmower guy is looking at it today. Apparently my puny lawnmower was not a priority :)
Brian wrote:

Let us know when you do find out, we all want to know.
'As for priorities when dealing with 'lawn mower guys' You will find that his regular customers always get priority. I like to schedule anything I need to take in for times when his business is slow. Spring is a bad time. Late summer isn't bad, Winter is bad if you are in snow country. I drop the item(s) off and tell him to get to it when he can and I won't need it until .... (weeks or months down the road). He appreciates that and then when I do have a problem I need 'right now' he tends to give me preference.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

I live in Florida. There is no "snow time" :) I'm not sweating it. It hasn't rained much so the grass doesn't really need mowing for a couple weeks at least.
Ok. I just got the lawnmower back today. It seems the starter assembly was rusted. They put some white lithium grease on it and it is back to normal. I have a feeling this is going to be a normal thing for this mower.
Brian wrote:

I just fixed my mower with this problem. I took off the top engine cover, squirted a little oil into the top of the starter clutch through the little hole in the center, put a couple of drops around the seal at the bottom of that same part, and re-assembled it. Problem solved.
Bob