Lawnmower - should I buy self-propelled?

Page 2 of 2
Thank you everyone for answers. This is summary of what I found with help from all of you so far: There are chargeable electric mowers, but I do not like them because " A review in The New York Times estimates that it takes about twice as long to mow a lawn with a cordless mower, compared with a gasoline-powered model". (http://www.consumersearch.com/www/lawn_and_garden/lawn-mower-reviews/fullstory.html ) I did consider looking into robotic mowers as here someone sugested. I do have roomba vacum cleaner and it does perfect job when rooms are Roomba-proffed (so it will not stuck). But beacause some of my lawn is in front of house and some in the back of house and because of price this is not an option right now. I believe human-powered reel mowers would be too much hasle. I belive my lawn is a bit too big for them. So I am stuck with gas powered mower. I understood that some of you hate front weel powered mowers and some of you hate back weel powered movers. No consensus here. But I am sure now that if I'll go with self-propelled, I will buy just a mower with multiple speeds. My current electric mower is 4.5HP and I assume I should gas mower will have to be also at least 4.5HP. Not sure if it is worth going 6.5HP. I went to HD during luch and was surprised to find that these gas mowers are so much havier than electric ones, especially ones with over 6HP power and self propelled.
Thanks again for all your help. I am still doing my research.

sure as hell isn't 4.5 "true" HP -- that's 28 amps @ 120V...no way). A decent rechargeable isn't going to be any more gutless that what you already have.
It'd sure help to know if the dimensions of your yard are in feet or meters, 'tho.
Andy,
Size of lot is in feet 50x120. Again, in the middle of the lot there is a house and in the corner in backyard there is a pool. Although I am happy now with electric mower, if based on NYT I'll be able to cut grass 2 times faster with gas mower, I would be very happy. Thanks

hard time believing a gas mower will save any time over an electric on something that small -- you're going to be spending most of your time turning, futzing around obstructions, etc. Not a lot of straight line stuff like on a bigger lawn. IMHO, the increased eminence required of a gas mower would more than offset any time savings. Hey, but the proof's in the pudding -- borrow a neighbor's gas mower for an hour, and see what you think.

offset any time savings". %$#*ing spell checker...

Eminence is correct if you can get the pope to mow your lawn.

50 X 120 lot? No way! I mow a 50 X 150 lot with a push. I had a self propelled a few years back and the drive was hardly used. Greg
Self propelled will be heavier to bring home from the store, and also loading on and off a truck.
I like front wheel drive. Because when you're turning a corner, you push down on the handle and the front wheels come up. And you can leave the drive running, and then you can stand still.
Trying to lift the handle to lift the rear drive wheels is a pain.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

June 2005 Consumer Reports has an article and tests of mowers. Its on newstands. Worth a read.
LB

Self propelled. Lots easier to use. And in situations where you just want to push it, pull in on the bar.
Steve