Lawnmower Prime Bulb Not Working

I have a 4 OHP Quattro Briggs & Stratton engine on my lawnmower, and when I use the prime bulb to try to get the engine started the priming doesn't work. I take off the top of the sort of rectangular metal box that holds the filter, (and the filter appears to be clean), and pour a little gasoline into the engine and the engine starts up. Can someone tell me how to get the prime system working again? Thanks,

JD

Reply to
JD

Read the section entitled "A primer on priming" at:

DerbyDad03

The tiny tubing running to and from the primer tends to break down, loosen up or fall off.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Thanks for your response, but I have a followup -- How do I fix it? Do I buy a new tube or do I just clean what is there or what? Also, is there any trick to getting to the tubing or is it obvious where I am going. Haven't worked with this type of problem before.

JD

Reply to
JD

The site I offered before has instructions for cleaning/repairing both B&S and Tecumseh engines.

Look for the sections on cleaning the carburetor since this will most likely require you to interact with the primer bulb and tube.

FYI - I had never worked on a lawn mower engine before last weekend, but by using the instructions at this site I was able to replace the flywheel key, which required making a tool to remove the flywheel. All the info I needed was found at that site.

Reply to
DerbyDad03