Lawnmower HP Litigation

Reference the class action lawsuit against lawnmower manufacturers for not calculating the HP claims properly, the case is apparently settled. I received my settlement check today. Suit claims for walk behinds said "up to $35" was actually $10.19 each, and riding mowers "up to $75" was actually $21.84 each. My check was for one of each for a total of $32.03. Accompanying statement said the overall amount was capped, more than expected claims were received, and amounts were reduced pro rata from the capped amounts. No mention of lawyer fees.
Since I never expected to get a penny, I was surprised with the amount. Especially since the mowers worked just like I expected them to regardless of hp ratings. Do I feel guilty? Nope.
Red
On 5/24/2011 6:39 PM, Red wrote:

Yep, got mine a couple days ago. Deposited it before they changed their minds.
--
aem sends...

On Tue, 24 May 2011 18:43:03 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

Got mine a few weeks ago for John Deere.
On 5/24/2011 6:39 PM, Red wrote:

On 5/24/2011 6:39 PM, Red wrote:

their fees!
Red wrote:

Meanwhile the cost comes out of the workers pockets, product quality, the cost of the product goes up for the consumer, and more parts are contracted out overseas.
Yes, they were idiots to lie about the HP rating, and deserve punishment, but class-action suits of this kind only serve to line the pockets of greedy lawyers.
Congratulations on being part of the problem with this country.
Jon
On 5/24/2011 7:58 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

Well stated.
Don
On 5/24/2011 8:58 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

lawyers out and shoot them. Think it would be amazing how much prices and various insurance policies would drop.

I agree that a number is only used as a comparison, no big deal. It is how they used the number to make their product seem better than the others. Again, how important is the number in regards to lawnmowers? To the average consumer it may be important enough to buy a certain brand.
Since I am only a number in the Government database and a peon that don't have enough clout ( think horsepower) to change things, I will take my $21.84 and cash the check and only hope it covers most of the price increases that follow.
Hank <~~~~ Realist