Lawnmower burning oil, finally want to fix it!

It's been this way for at least seven years... but my Lawnboy mower (Tecumseh 5.5HP engine) has burned oil since I got it (used). It's not so bad when the engine is cold, but after it gets warmed up (20 or 30 minutes) or if it is operated on even a modest incline or if it's operated with a real heavy load (chopping piles of leaves for example), huge clouds of blue smoke come out. Especially on moderate slopes, the smoke is so thick that if there's no breeze I have a hard time seeing. Huge thick coulds. It also blows a lot of smoke when it runs the gas tank dry and the engine runs rough for ten or fifteen seconds. (Almost like the engine is running for a while just on burnt oil! Is this even possible?)

There is no apparent oil leak onto the garage floor when it's sitting there.

Rate of consumption: about half a quart of oil for every gallon of gas. That means 3 quarts per summer, roughly.

If I let it run low it doesn't seem to burn oil as bad, but I like to keep it filled to the top of the range on the dipstick. Pretty much every time I use it, it burns half a pint, enough to take the level from the "full" to well below the "fill" line. The overall capacity is probably 1.5 pints.

Every spring it's hard to start and I replace the air filter and find the spark plug completely fouled so I replace it too. I also change the oil every spring. But otherwise it runs very reliably and has had no other engine maintenance.

Now it's been this way for 7 years and I've never done anything about it - mainly because it only costs a couple bucks a year just to put more oil in and another two bucks for a new spark plug. Is this an endemic problem with Tecumseh engines, is this a sign that it needs a ring job/rebuild, or is there some valve that's stuck that might cause this?

Tim.

Reply to
shoppa

i think there is a crankcase breather on the engine, if not working it can cause this. ive replaced a few. if you rebuild it, buy the service manual, ittl save you alot of time, lucas

Reply to
ds549

As DS suggested, sounds like problems with the breather valve.

How about buy a quart of "outboard motor oil" and use that? At least it burns more cleanly tha 10W30 or HD30.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm more surprised that an older lawnboy mower has a tecumseh motor on it. OMC NEVER used them and when toro took over, they have their own line of motors.

Reply to
BocesLib

Plus, to the best of my knowledge, Lawnboy always used 2-cycle engines???

OP did note he got it used...sounds like former owner replaced original w/ generic to me...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

lawnboys have had the 4 stroke choice since 1992 i know for sure. lucas

Reply to
ds549