Lawnmower Battery Question

I have a Murray electric start lawnmower. I know that I am supposed to unplug the cable during the winter months.
Is it safe to leave the battery, unplugged, in the mower which is stored in the shed, or is it best to store the battery inside where it is warmer?
Thanks all.
Kate
On 11/19/2012 5:26 PM, Kate wrote:

I don't keep it charged, them it would be better where it doesn't get terribly cold...when battery discharges the electrolyte concentration goes down and it's possible to freeze one if it is really cold. That can damage plates and shorten life...if it's not too much trouble either get a trickle charger or occasionally go plug the charger in to keep a charge on it and it would be fine.

Best is to keep the battery stored at about 50F -
On 11/19/2012 3:26 PM, Kate wrote:

Since we don't know the battery technology...or whether you're at the north pole or on the equator, that question is gonna be difficult to answer. When in doubt, store it dry and cool, but above freezing. And charge it every few months.

Don't freeze it unless its on charge. In order to keep life, you must periodically charge it, or have some magical float charger. What do the manufactures recommend?
To much charging is not good.
Greg

Honestly, I unplugged mine which was in the garage last spring. I better charge it. Hope it still works. Putting a timer on it for half hour per day should work, after it's charged.
Never used that mower last summer.
Greg
On 11/19/2012 7:29 PM, gregz wrote:

There are little heating pads made for batteries in vehicles and for gensets installed in areas that experience very cold weather. You can find them at any truck parts supply company. ^_^
http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/60-watt-5-5-x-8-5--battery-pad-heater.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium words&id136088729&utm_content=pla&gclid=CNvF6a273LMCFQsGnQodyCUAuQ
http://tinyurl.com/d335drd
TDD
I'd say inside. Only takes one freeze, to kill it.
I have a Murray electric start lawnmower. I know that I am supposed to unplug the cable during the winter months.
Is it safe to leave the battery, unplugged, in the mower which is stored in the shed, or is it best to store the battery inside where it is warmer?
Thanks all.
Kate
On Monday, November 19, 2012 7:06:47 PM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:

My lawn tractor battery stayed in the tractor over winter last year and the temperature went down as low as -40 at times. This Spring the motor started with one turn of the key. Fully charged in the Fall should get 'er through. If this battery is OLD...keep it in a shop or garage and trickle charge it once a month or so.
On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 15:26:14 -0800, Kate wrote:

Best is to bring it inside the garage or basement where it won't freeze but it will stay cool (refrigerator temps are great for batteries) - and - to charge it periodically with a trickle charger while it's being stored.
But it will last outside just like all driveway gates do.