Lawnboy parts wanted

Hey folks,

I just found out that my lawnboy has a leak in the gas tank, and its the type of tank that is integrated into the top of the mower in the green plastic material, I think they also call this a shroud. The model number of the mower is 8237, yeah, its an old one.

Does anyone have one of these items and would also like to sell it to me?

Thanks, Fish. Columbus, Ohio

Reply to
fish

Fish,

Is the part no longer available for your particular mower?

I don't have a part to sell, but I've got a few suggestions:

1) If you locate the leak, then it is quite possible that you can repair it. A fiberglass repair kit is one possible method. 2) You can check with a few lawn mower repair places and ask if they have a tank for you from a "parts mower" that they have around. 3) You can mention you situation to those trash pickers who drive around on trash day, sifting through the trash and grabbing items for resale. They may be able to sell you a gas tank. 4) You might ask around to see if anybody knows an old retired guy who fixes mowers out of his shed or garage. One in our neighborhood has parts stacked all over the place. Folks give him old mowers, he purchases parts at auctions, etc.

Good luck, Gideon

Reply to
Gideon

Gideon,

thanks for the suggestions, come to think of it I do know of a guy who repairs mowers, maybe he knows where I can get this part. But no, I havent checked for this part brand new, I am sure I can get it but I got a feeling it might be $50.+.

Fish.

Reply to
fish

all kinds of obsolete parts for small engine stuff

-- Troweller^nospam^@canada.com

Reply to
ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

Lawnboy, other than as a decal slapped on Toro's, is long gone. But I used to have one of those green-shroud Lawnboys, 1972 vintage IIRC, and as I recall,the tank was white plastic that snapped into the fibreglas shroud. Probably HDPE, which means basically unrepairable. So, unless you can find a freelance junk man or old repair shop that has one laying around, the only obvious alternative I can see would be to modify or cut away part of the shroud, and fit a tank from something else. In that era, Lawnboy sold a 'commercial' model, which was the same chassis design (albeit probably more heavy-duty), and had a 1950s looking engine with a metal shroud, and a metal cylindrical tank on the back. The shroud on the one I had, aside from being decorative, held the prime button and on-off switch in place, along with the gas tank, but served no other structural purpose. (when the hole for the on-off switch wallowed out, I put a big washer under the shroud.)

All that is a long way of saying, that if nothing else, you could 'Mad Max' your mower, junk the shroud, and blacksmith a plate for the primer and on-off switches, and mount a small beer keg or something as a lasts-all-day gas tank. Any boat repair or small engine place will have the various lines and fittings you would need.

Yeah, I miss 'real' Lawnboys too. Currently shopping for a mower, and crying at the overpriced junk in the big-box places. Traditional ma'n'pa lawn and garden places around here no longer carry a stock of mowers, due to financial pressures from the big-boxes. Just one floor model, and they order them as needed. Keeping my fingers crossed I find a decent cheap mower at the garage sales tomorrow- a couple rich subdivisions are having their annual mass sales. Naturally, a month ago, before I closed deal for house, every other sale had a good cheap mower.

Just for the hell of it, I just tried Google on your model number, and this place:

, would claim to have your part. Keep in mind that the cast-deck era lawnboys pretty much had interchangable parts. Even if the shroud they have doesn't look the same, it would probably fit.

aem sends....

Reply to
ameijers

Thanks for the last couple posts, they were humorous and informative. i tried partsandservice and they do have quite a fine seliction, so i added them to my favorites shortcut list.

i suppose if i dont find a tank this year, and when i get tired of the leaking gas taht accumulates the dirt and dust, i will create a new tank and switch plate for the on/off and the primer pump. those are great ideas guys, i hate to even think of getting rid of this mower, it works so fine.

thanks, fish

Reply to
fish

and by the way, i bought this mower about 6 years ago at a garage sale for 10 bux, yeah what a steal. it was just improperly cared for, and with a good cleaning and the right fuel it fired right up and has been so powerful.

Reply to
fish

To follow up on my earlier post- I did see a Lawnboy of that vintage at a sale today, but it was self-propelled (which I don't want), and looked to have led a very hard life, and they wanted 100 bucks for it. (tag said 'appraised at $250'- who the hell appraises push mowers?) Needless to say, I passed. As much as I like Lawnboy, I ain't gonna pay half of the price of a new mower for one 20 years old. If it had been 40 or 50, I might have taken a chance.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

100 bucks, what a joke. they should have taken an offer of $40.00 or less. people who abuse their mowers should only get a percentage of its value at resale.
Reply to
fish

This all depends on where the leak is on the tank.

I found a lawnboy (ok it was trash day and someone was just wheeling it to the curb) Anywho, I found too that the gas tank had a leak where they (Lawnboy) melt the two plastic pieces together to join the tank to the deck and seal it. What I did was to use Marinetex to fill and seal the hole. So far so good.

Marinetex is an 2 part epoxy glue / filler that is used normally on boats. Its not effected by gas/oil (and most things are) and dries real strong.

Tom

Reply to
BocesLib