lawn tractors - hydro drive vs not

Page 2 of 2
On 12/23/2011 7:56 AM, Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:

Sealed hydraulic units that I've serviced were filled with a silicone oil having a very wide operating temperature range. The units rarely leaked and the closest replacement for the factory fill I found was silicone brake fluid from auto parts suppliers.
TDD
On 12/22/2011 8:56 PM, The Daring Dufas wrote: ...

Check hydraulic level annually...there is a filter on the return line; it has been replaced once I believe. Hours are pretty high on the schedule and as a yard tractor it doesn't get hours like field tractors do...
The Daring Dufas wrote the following:

The B&S engine has no oil filter. The hydro tranny has no filter either nor does it require oil changes or maintenance since it is sealed. The only regular maintenance has been replacing the plugs, oil, and air filter. It does look like shit, though. Scrapes, dents, cracked plastic body parts, and a torn seat cover held together with duct tape. A new seat would cost around $60 (US) but as I have learned, when you replace a non-essential part just for looks, an expensive essential part will fail shortly thereafter. :-)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 12/25/2011 11:00 AM, willshak wrote:

So it was the new paint job my 70's Bolens got that caused the starter to bite the dust! It looks nice but it doesn't move so well right now.
Got to get the other older (late 60's) gear drive cousin Bolens I call "Rustbucket" ready with a plow and chains in case we get any snow.
On 12/22/2011 4:05 PM, Jules Richardson wrote:

Like others said yes there is some power loss with a hydro but it really is worth it. I have foot pedal hydro. The further I press the pedal forward the faster I go, for reverse I use the heel of my foot.