Lawn Tractor suggestions please

I got tired of nursing along my old rider and gave it away. I was sure I wanted a Kohler engine this time out but I see Briggs now has a fully pressurized lube model which seems popular and now I am not so sure. Zero turn is out of the picture. I can't bring myself to pay $1000 more ($2600) than I would pay for a decent tractor type ($1600), especially for my small lawn. The lawn is just large enough to demand a rider and takes about an hour to cut. The 42" deck I had was just about right so I want to stick with that. I mulch so power can be and issue (it takes a lot more power to mulch). I have looked around a bit and three machines have caught my eye. Of the MTD bunch, I like Cub Cadet LT1042. I also saw a nice Husqvarna and a John Deere. All are in the $1600-$1700 range. I would appreciate recommendations on engine type/brand/HP and especially comments on lawn tractor brands.
[...]
On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 16:32:26 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@nono.net wrote:

Consumer Reports recommends the John Deere over the Cub Cadet and Husqvarna. They rate the JD L111 best and the JD L108 right behind. The L111 has more power and a cruise control over the L108.
I have the JD LT155 also (38" cut). I love it. I put Gator blades on it and it has been working flawlessly for 5 years. Good luck!
Can't speak for the others, but, I purchased a John Deere, LT155, 15HP, 42" mulching mower. It use to take me 1 hour to cut my 1+ acre lawn and 1 hour to bag the clippings. My trash service would only pick up 9 bags of clippings, not to exceed 40 pounds each, each Thursday. I usually ended up with 15. By purchasing my JD, I now save myself the hour and dealing with the clippings. I've had it for four years and haven't had a single problem. I purchase a tune-up kit every spring. I love this tractor.
Good Luck...Bob
--
______________
lvMMMCDLXXIX+1
Photon713 wrote:

You also save on fertilizer and you are adding mulch.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
snipped-for-privacy@nono.net wrote:

model and had them put the high back seat on it. Makes a difference in the comfort column. I have over 1 acre and it takes me about 1 hour to cut/mulch. All my neighbors now have the John Deere. Seems very popular here in Florida. Good luck.... Chuck

You might consider getting a robot to do it for you. http://www.robomower.us/modelrl1000.htm

Don't see short the Craftsman line. No snob appeal but mine is starting its 22 year. OTOH, it's a garden tractor so it's bound to be built a lot heavier.

Electric. $200. No more maintenance problems.
snipped-for-privacy@nono.net wrote:

I have had my John Deere for 3 years and no problems. I got the L110 model and had them put the high back seat on it. Makes a difference in the comfort column. I have over 1 acre and it takes me about 1 hour to cut/mulch. All my neighbors now have the John Deere. Seems very popular here in Florida. Good luck.... Chuck
On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 10:48:19 GMT, "Chuck B."

================I am ON my second Lawn Tractor...its now 12 years old..
My original tractor lasted 20+ years before the tires dry rotted, and the deck rusted out. cost to replace those items was almost the price of a new tractor... so I replaced it... even though it ran just fine...
Both :International Cub Cadet..both purchased from a "real" Farm supply company with on site mechanics... .
That said... John Deere, Simplicity, Gravley, etc should also last many many years....and NO I would not buy a Deere or a Cub from Home Depot...
.... Write a big check once and forget about it ...
Bob G.
On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 11:53:54 -0500, Bob G.

Yeah, I hear you BUT there is no longer any such thing as an International Cub Cadet. MTD bought them years ago and it appears quality has suffered. I honestly like the Cub the best of all I have seen but Consumer Reports knocked them for repair frequency. The trouble with that is they never say exactly what the repairs were so you don't know if it was a thorn in a tire or a blown engine.