Lawn Tractor suggestions please

I got tired of nursing along my old rider and gave it away. I was sure I wanted a Kohler engine this time out but I see Briggs now has a fully pressurized lube model which seems popular and now I am not so sure. Zero turn is out of the picture. I can't bring myself to pay $1000 more ($2600) than I would pay for a decent tractor type ($1600), especially for my small lawn. The lawn is just large enough to demand a rider and takes about an hour to cut. The 42" deck I had was just about right so I want to stick with that. I mulch so power can be and issue (it takes a lot more power to mulch). I have looked around a bit and three machines have caught my eye. Of the MTD bunch, I like Cub Cadet LT1042. I also saw a nice Husqvarna and a John Deere. All are in the $1600-$1700 range. I would appreciate recommendations on engine type/brand/HP and especially comments on lawn tractor brands.

Reply to
Curious

[...]

Can't speak for the others, but, I purchased a John Deere, LT155,

15HP, 42" mulching mower. It use to take me 1 hour to cut my 1+ acre lawn and 1 hour to bag the clippings. My trash service would only pick up 9 bags of clippings, not to exceed 40 pounds each, each Thursday. I usually ended up with 15. By purchasing my JD, I now save myself the hour and dealing with the clippings. I've had it for four years and haven't had a single problem. I purchase a tune-up kit every spring. I love this tractor.

Good Luck...Bob

Reply to
Photon713

I have had my John Deere for 3 years and no problems. I got the L110 model and had them put the high back seat on it. Makes a difference in the comfort column. I have over 1 acre and it takes me about 1 hour to cut/mulch. All my neighbors now have the John Deere. Seems very popular here in Florida. Good luck.... Chuck

Reply to
Chuck B.

You might consider getting a robot to do it for you.

digitalmaster

Don't see short the Craftsman line. No snob appeal but mine is starting its

22 year. OTOH, it's a garden tractor so it's bound to be built a lot heavier.
Reply to
C & E

You also save on fertilizer and you are adding mulch.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Consumer Reports recommends the John Deere over the Cub Cadet and Husqvarna. They rate the JD L111 best and the JD L108 right behind. The L111 has more power and a cruise control over the L108.

Reply to
JPB

I have the JD LT155 also (38" cut). I love it. I put Gator blades on it and it has been working flawlessly for 5 years. Good luck!

Reply to
emrlaw

Electric. $200. No more maintenance problems.

Reply to
Bert Byfield

I have had my John Deere for 3 years and no problems. I got the L110 model and had them put the high back seat on it. Makes a difference in the comfort column. I have over 1 acre and it takes me about 1 hour to cut/mulch. All my neighbors now have the John Deere. Seems very popular here in Florida. Good luck.... Chuck

Reply to
Chuck B.

================= I am ON my second Lawn Tractor...its now 12 years old..

My original tractor lasted 20+ years before the tires dry rotted, and the deck rusted out. cost to replace those items was almost the price of a new tractor... so I replaced it... even though it ran just fine...

Both :International Cub Cadet..both purchased from a "real" Farm supply company with on site mechanics... .

That said... John Deere, Simplicity, Gravley, etc should also last many many years....and NO I would not buy a Deere or a Cub from Home Depot...

.... Write a big check once and forget about it ...

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

Yeah, I hear you BUT there is no longer any such thing as an International Cub Cadet. MTD bought them years ago and it appears quality has suffered. I honestly like the Cub the best of all I have seen but Consumer Reports knocked them for repair frequency. The trouble with that is they never say exactly what the repairs were so you don't know if it was a thorn in a tire or a blown engine.

Reply to
Curious