Lawn Tractor brakes won't adjust...

Hello,
I have an older Craftsmen LT 12/38 6 speed, 917.254240.
I cannot seem to adjust the brakes on this thing. I see the adjuster on the brake rod, but when I adjust it all I can do is change the clutch adjustment but not the brakes. I did have a little brake left earlier this year, but I have none now... and on my terrain that is not a good thing at all.
Is there another adjustment on the transaxle or somewhere?
Thanks in advance.
"Ralph D." wrote:

Maybe it's like a John Deere STX 38. If you pop off the right rear wheel, the brake is a couple of pads that squeeze a rotating disk outside the transmission. I had to remove it and clean it to get it to move and see how it worked. The adjustment was a screw that took up the slack between the pads and the rotor. IIRC, the screw was eccentric.