Lawn Tractor Batteries During The Winter

Does it really make a difference whether you bring tractor batteries in a warm house for the winter vs. leaving them mounted on the tractors in an unheated garage? Thanks.

On Nov 25, 8:03 am, snipped-for-privacy@home.net (Ditzy Bimbo) wrote:

If the battery is kept charged no, but any dirt or oily film on the battery will self discharge it. Removing it you can now clean the terminals fully.
Not really, except for the possibility of it freezing IF the charge goes low enough and IF the temperature goes low enough. In side is likely to be cleaner which is a plus but if you have small children or who might get to it, .... I would keep it in the garage, which is what I do with my MC battery.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Yes, it makes a major difference.
--

Christopher A. Young;
.

"Ditzy Bimbo" < snipped-for-privacy@home.net> wrote in message

The real difference is that any battery of this type left stored will slowly discharge over time. And starting batteries last longest when discharged the least. If you want the battery to last, keep it on a battery tender so it will remain fully charged during the months it's not used.

I agree. The only real problems with leaving them in an unheated area are:
1. If they are not kept charged, they can freeze (charged batter acid has a much lower freeze point) and freezing is bad.
2. If you have them in an unheated area, you are less likely to keep them charged.
The cold by itself does not really hurt the battery any more than it hurts you car battery. But your car battery is kept charged when you drive.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit