Lawn Question

My lawn is looking pretty bare... through semi-neglect and LOTS of kids playing on it. I am trying to tune it up this year.

3 weeks ago I applied Scotts with Halts.

Lots of dandelions popped up this week... have knocked them back down with spot treatments... (I think halts doesn't kill dandelions.. it is for crabgrass)

Anyway, we have had good rain over last 3 weeks... and small parts have really shot up... but most of it is still thin.

Would another shot of fertilizer (3 weeks after initial) at this point help? I can't put down new seed to help.. as the Halts would prevent it from germinating.

Reply to
jackjohansson

Does the halts bag say anything about the wait before re-seeding, or how long it is supposed to be effective? I assume it is a time release fertilizer. You should probably wait at least another several weeks before re-applying. When you can, re-seed the lawn, then keep it constantly damp until it sprouts. Most important - fertilize in the fall. Re-seeding in the fall may also be your best bet, depending on where you are.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I agree with Bob. Generally fertilizer should last at least 4 weeks, more likely 6. Did you put it down at the right rate? Too much nitrogen can promote fungus and disease, so I wouldn't over do it.

One thing you could that would help it would be to aerate it. If it's had heavy traffic, it's likely compacted. However, that should have been done before the pre-emergent crabgrass preventer was put down. If you don it now, it will at least diminish the effectiveness. Also, have you tested the PH and adjusted? That can make a diff in how the lawn responds to fertilizer.

Reply to
trader4

Next spring, reseed FIRST. I guess you figured this out already. You can "halts" until the cows come home, but if the weeds have no competition, they'll be back with a vengeance.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

First it would help to know what part of what country you are located as advice for Fargo NC would be way off for Dublin Ireland.

Assuming upper Midwest US.

Don't go with the programs suggested by the fertilizer companies. They are in business of selling fertilizer, not making good lawns. They want to kill weeds (even if it also damages the grass) and make the grass green FAST. Doing so often does as much damage as good.

I agree with the others. That Halts product will keep grass seed from sprouting.

I suggest you contact your local county extension agent and ask them about a soil test. They can direct you on how to accomplish that cheaply so you will know what kind of fertilizer, if any, you lawn needs. They can assist you in deciding on a care plan. I suggest that you plan on using this summer to work on getting to soil straightened out. Make sure the acidity is correct also.

Come fall is the time to address reseeding or other work. The best time of year in most areas to seed a lawn is the fall, not spring.

Remember this. If the bag tells you to use X amount of the product every year at a given time, it is bad advice since every lawn may need a different amount and mix of products. Also remember that most anything that will kill weeds, also can damage the grass, if not kill it. You best defense against weeds is healthy grass.

Finally NEVER cut the grass too short. Many people think they have putting greens, your lawn is not a putting green and cutting it like one will just damage it and make it look bad.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

No danger of my lawn looking like a putting green... looks more like a parking lot at the moment, much to my chagrin.

I do live in Upper Midwest, Michigan to be precise.

Reply to
jackjohansson

Reply to
Beeper