Lawn overseeding

Page 2 of 2
Gideon wrote:

Suggestions (2) and (3) are excellent. I don't know about (1). How do I get a meaningful reference concerning satisfaction with new jobs that aren't complete? Maybe I should also get references for seeding jobs done last fall, so I can judge results after a full growing season and exposure to the four seasons.
Thanks.
Ray,
Come on - if I want to check on a contractor, I always want to observe a job which is going to start soon. That way, the company can't cherry-pick and only give you references for past customers who are very happy with their work. You can learn a lot by observing a new job in progress.
Gideon
Gideon wrote:

Suggestions (2) and (3) are excellent. I don't know about (1). How do I get a meaningful reference concerning satisfaction with new jobs that aren't complete? Maybe I should also get references for seeding jobs done last fall, so I can judge results after a full growing season and exposure to the four seasons.
Thanks.
What condition is your lawn in? If there's quite a bit of thatch, core aerating it would be a good idea. Also, core aerating will help the existing grass grow better and expand. As for the method #1, unless they slits were an inch or closer, it doesn't seem to me to be a good idea.

FDR wrote:

See my response to Joseph.

> Also, core aerating will help the

That's what the salesman also say.

They are more like three inches apart.
Thanks.

Go here:
http://www.rcre.rutgers.edu/garden /
Weeds are a sign that grass cannot grow well. Test the soil, add the reccomended fertilizer and fix the ph if necessary. I highly recommend the core aeration and I have mine done once a year in the fall. I fertilize once in the spring and once before winter. Our grass here in central ny takes a pounding from the cold, snowy weather, but by summer it looks great. What exit are you near? I used to live in NJ.
FDR wrote:

Thanks for the informative link. I live in Manalapan, at least 25 minutes to GSP exit 100, but a mile from Route 9.