Lawn mower won't work

had some problems with lawn mower after a long winter's nap. Changed the spark plug and the air cleaner and it started right up, ran for about 5 minutes until I turned it off and I thought all was cool. Today I take it out for Real and it won't start. Prime it 4 times like the manual says. Pull on the starter cord and nothing happens. No catch, not sputter, just the starter going in and out and the parts that are supposed to move for the starter moving. Took the plug out and regapped and put it back to no avail. Don't smell too much gas. Since it worked fine last week, any suggestions for this week.
Did you put it away with gas in the tank? Is your carb the white plastic kind?
Between the carb and the tank is a fiber gasket and a thin diaphram, your diaphram may be the culprit. Replacement cost 4.00
Searcher

No. Siphoned it out, ran it for about 5 minutes until it ran out of gas and then pulled on the starter a couple more times to see if anything was left behind. The gas is from last fall, but it worked fine in the snow thrower a couple of weeks ago and it worked fine a week ago when I was starting things up.
Is your carb the white plastic

Nope. Looks grey and metalish to the naked eye. It is is B&S engine on a two year old Toro. Changed the oil, too.

I'll try that. I got it finally get started so I could at least pretend I was mowing. It isn't running rough as much as weak (best way I know how to describe). It isn't as loud as it should be and doesn't seem to have as much power. It labors noticably when I try to use self-propelled part and even when I am mowing, it feels "sluggish" I guess.
Thanks.

Had similar problems. The fix was to not let him use the car until the lawn was mowed.
Check the exhaust to make sure some critters have not blocked it with whatever. My weedwacker wouldn't run right and I found mud daubers in the exhaust blocking the port . If your engine has a bowl on the carb remove it and clean out the varnish that has come loose blocking the fuel ports

I'll try that next. Thanks.

Try removing the gas cap. If it runs then the cap is faulty. Make sure the gas cap vent hole is clear (us paperclip or other wire).
Spray some starting fluid in the carb. Will it run (better power)? -- Oren

Thanks. I'll try both