Lawn Mower Will Not Start

My Toro Personal pace lawn mower has a problem with the pull starter.
It is difficult to pull the cord and often hangs up and can not be pulled at all.
Can anyone tell me if this can be repaired, and if so where can I buy a Toro repair manual.
Thanks,
Freckles

There is a guy on YouTube who's made hundreds of small engine diagnosis & repair videos:
<
http://www.youtube.com/user/donyboy73

Check him out...
Erik (Who has no affiliation)

If the recoil spring is broken the cord will just hang out like a dog's tongue. It would not affect pulling it out (turning the engine)

Yeah, I've seen that. Somehow I broke 3 recoil springs in a row, right at the end where it hooks into something, on one mower, the second and third very soon after installation. I never did figure it out and the mower sits in a corner, rusting. IIR, I found an electric mower on the curb, and after that wore out, I bought another gas mower.

Seen it several hundred times - but it won't make the engine difficult to turn over.
Remove the spark plug and try to turn it over. If the starter rope won't turn it eliminate starter problems by turning it by the blade. MAKE SURE THE PLUG IS DISCONNECTED!!!! If it still does not turn you KNOW it is not a sheared key or any other ig nition related problem. And not a starter problem either. Pull the plug. If it still gets hard to turn just throw the thing away and pick up another one off the curb this spring when someone throws out a perfectly good one because there is water in the gastank.
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 23:39:10 +0000 (UTC), Red Green

Isn't that what an 02 sensor socket is for?

Sure. It has a place for the wire, so you don't need to take off the spark plug wirre to remove the spark plug. I haven't tried this, buit it's worth making about joke about it.

Google Toro model xxx manual. You may have to look at two, three, maybe as many as four sites, but you will find a diagram easily. Take it apart slowly, and lay everything on a table or flat surface so you will know how it goes back together. They are not that difficult, especially with the manual.
Steve
That's one, comes to mind. Other is that the blade may be loose. The crank shaft relies on the weight of the blade for flywheel action.
When it cannot be pulled at all, take out the plug and pull the cord. Does it pull OK? Did a lot of fluid shoot out?
On Feb 23, 10:44pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Yep, about broke my damn wrist a couple of weeks ago because the blade was loose.
My lawnmower has a safety handle you have to squeeze to start it and keep it running- if you don't hold the handle it's really hard to pull the cord.
Maybe yours has something similar and the handle's broken?
On 2/23/2012 6:27 PM, Freckles wrote:

As far as I know Toro does not make the engines. You have no need for a Toro manual and it will not tell you anything about the engine. They used Briggs and Tecumseh at one point. The work you are doing and the manual that you need is a small engine repair guide. Most small engine issues are common, no matter what brand.
Take off the cowling. Blow, scrape, and dig all the junk off the fins. Scrape the underside of the deck Drain the oil. Remove the blade somewhere in this sequence
Remove the flywheel. Clean and re set the magneto. Replace the shear key. (probably the problem).
Remove the carburetor. Take off the sediment bowl. Carefully remove the float and needle Clean the bowl and blow some carburetor cleaner through all the passages. Reinstall the float and needle Reinstall the sediment bowl Reinstall the carburetor. Make sure the O-ring or gasket between the engine case and carb is in good shape to insure vacuum.
Verify that the winding spring is not broken. Replace the pull rope in the rewinder if frayed any. Tighten the winding spring as required Reinstall everything. Change the oil . Replace or sharpen and balance the blade. Replace the spark plug if you are inclined, but very rarely needed.
Should start on first pull with fresh fuel. Should make the entire season. May need another oil change if you mow over 50 hours.
Repeat each spring.
--

Keep the whole world singing . . .

And then later it is good again? If so, I've had that problem with one Briggs and Stratton engine, maybe two. . Never figured it out.
When it was working right, it woudl start the engine. When it wasn't I'd have to pull it in some special way to get the rope to retract.
(This is not the same as the broken spring I also never figured out. )

Just in case you didnt' see it. The guy's right. You need an engine manaual by whoever makes your engine.

It comes from a combination of things. Rope wear. Rope stiffness with age. Wearing grooves in stuff with the rope. Weakening spring. Dirt. Crud. Loose parts. Wear. Age. Lots of things that can combine together. A good cleaning and exam goes a long way. Look for the parts that have wear, and see how that is being caused. See if rope is stiffening and replace. Replace spring (not expensive even if it is good). Just look for the obvious.
Steve
Steve