Lawn mower starting.

Yesterday the mower appeared to need oil. I added some. Maybe too much. Also gassed it. Did the usual starting three pumps on primer button and pulled. It fired for about two putts, with a puff of blue smoke, then died. I tried and could not get it going. Pulled plug and wiped it off - it appeared oily. Tried again an hour later still no joy. Am hoping it will be OK in AM, but am looking for advice (plug is new this year) Motor is 6HP B&S. Any ideas?
TIA
LB
snipped-for-privacy@notmine.com wrote:

Mowers don't usually heal themselves, it'll probably still be broken in the morning. That's what you get for overfilling with oil. Ever heard of "too much of a good thing"? :)
hvacrmedic
do these 4 before attempting restart:
empty gas, replace with fresh gas empty oil, refill to CORRECT level install a new plug, properly gapped to B&S spec. pray

cowboy wrote:

Will try #4 first, thank you:-))
LB
snipped-for-privacy@notmine.com wrote:

I would skip #1 as you did not indicate any reason the gas would be bad.
I do have one question. This is a four cycle mower (you don't mix gas and oil) and it has a primer button? Is that common?
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Yes.
I am looking here for ideas: http://faqs.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/faqs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid444&p_created 04128786&p_sid=Y2mv1xIh&p_lva=&p_sp9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0zOTQmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1
LB
Mine has it. Its a 6.5HP Briggs 4 cycle.

RP wrote:

Well I just checked it and it turns out I did not overfill it. It is actually slightly under filled. I tried the usual starting and no joy again. I am wondering if the air cleaner is gunked up. I did spill gas on the mower while filling it yesterday.
LB

The usual basics:pull the plug and check for spark, too much or too little fuel...
you didnt say how over full you got it on the dipstick, if its way overfull the oil will go past the gaps it the piston rings to get on top of the piston. so getting the right level first ,,, then get it running may be tough with oil on the piston top,a brief shot some starting fluid may help. lucas
Thanks to all that replied.
After screwing around for a couple of hours - mostly on the web at B & S site - and cleaning off outside of engine to get model number, I finally located the air filter (DUH). Totally clogged. Started engine for 30 seconds without filter and it started right up. Am off to buy a new filter.
Again thanks to all who offered help.
LB

In the process of doing whatever you did, did you tip the mower in the direction of the carburator? (Air intake side) If so, oil probably ran out through and pooled in the carburator and air cleaner. Check for a very oily air filter. Clean/replace as needed. Clean the plug by swishing it in a little gas or solvent, then replace.
Bob