Lawn Mower Speed adjustment

I have an old (1970's, 1980's) ariens hydro mower. I've got it running great, and cutting great after working on it Saturday.

The last problem is that the speed controller has a neutral position, which is sort of a notch, and about 1 foot of room to slide forward and backward on either side of that notch to control how fast it goes (in forward or reverse). It's on a stick like a car shifter, which a black ball on it.

The problem is that when the stick is in the neutral position, the mower is actually going backwards. When it's about 1/3 of the way in forward, that's neutral.

I could live with that, however, it will not reach it's max forward speed, because the stick will not go far enough forward.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to adjust the neutral position?

I tried loosening the shifter where the base of it is clamped with a nut and bolt to the frame, and where it goes to the transmission. I could see the device that had a notch for neutral. I loosened the stick, and moved it back, making sure the notch stayed in place. It helped a little, but not as much as I needed.

Any other suggestions for what to try?

Thanks.

Reply to
Mike

you didnt say what model it is,but there is usually a adjustment in the linkage. lucas

ds549

OK, what exactly is this? I don't know the terminology, so can you describe where to look?

Reply to
Mike