Lawn Mower Residual Gas Question

Page 2 of 2
Chris Lewis wrote:

In general I agree. In part, as you infer, it does depend on the specific engine. I have never had a problem, but others may. In most cases if you do either, you should be OK, over winter is not all that long. However on some engines, it could be a problem and that problem is more likely related to evaporation than the chemical changes staibilization helps
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
trouble with running itout of gas for storage, you allways leave some gas in there that gums up quik,, and you got the air in the tank to condense droplets into the system all storage season.best way is to treat gasand leave tank full.lucas
On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 12:17:35 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

And rust can be a problem on a drained tank.
Robert11 wrote:

Yes.
.
.
.
.
The gas available today seems to be more stable than the stuff back in the 60's. Leaving gas for 6 months is not likely to cause any problem (unless it has a chance to evaporate.). I would estimate about 18 months as a safe period.
However I generally add a little stabilizer at the end of the season and run it dry. It does not take more than a few minutes. I would not be worried if I forgot one year and I would expect everything to be OK.
Now my cultivator that was run dry and has not been used for three or more years is another thing. I expect I will have a real problem getting it going next time I want it.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia\'s Muire duit
Joseph,
What do you hope to gain by putting gas with a stabilizer additive in your mower and then running it dry? The stabilized gas which might have protected some carb seals is gone. Wouldn't it be cheaper to just run it dry without the added stabilizer?hat do you think the stabilizer is doing for you?
Dave M.
David Martel wrote:

Frankly almost nothing. It is just that some years I am a little slow about that last lawn cut and I don't get around to running it empty. As for cost I have a couple of containers of stabilizer so the cost is not an issue so I guess I have just not thought of it.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia\'s duit

in the carburator to gum up. It won't run very long if you do a good job of draining the tank. I then pull the plug and squirt a little oil into the cylinder, and then turn it over a couple times to coat the inside.
Same thing for my snow blower where I consider it even more important to get all the gas out before a long hot summer.
I have runout my Toro for 13 years now, and it still starts on the first pull; so it seems satisfactory.
I am waiting for it to die so I can buy an electric, but it just keeps chugging.

I use the stabilizer without any problems. But you could completely drain it.

Your new Toro mower probably came with a new owner's manual that will recommend what to do.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
I let my mower run dry and it has never been the same. Seems like all the junk at the bottom of the tank clogged up the carberator inlet.