lawn mower repair questions

My lawn mower got so it wouldn't start and so I suspected a fuel line blockage. If I tip the lawnmower toward the front so that gravity gets gas to the engine it starts (after I put in mower back level of course) but it stops after 2 or 3 seconds.
I took the fuel line off but there is no blockage. There is no blockage in the tank. Could I need a new carburetor? What would cause the gas to not be able to get to the engine when the mower is level but allow gas to get there when the mover is tiped toward the front?
Is there a fuel pump on a lawn mower? I don't think so but I don't understand exactly how fuel is drawn into the engine.
I have the whole mower torn apart. I had to take the carburetor off just to get to the fuel line so while I have everything torn apart I'd like to get some advice.
Thanks, gb
Carburator rebuild,
And how do you know, given such little information?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Hey Stormin Mormin you dont agree with me, so whats your idea on this. To me Its obviously a fuel problem none other. Probably float. So you Clean- Rebuild the carb. Unless you think its the Flux Capicator Hygrometer backfeeding
mark Ransley Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in

Hope the original poster writes back and tells us what is really wrong with it...after it's fixed <G>
IMO, I still believe it's the plug.
NOI
Hey Thunder 3 Struck , spilled your beer aye , This guy cant start the mower unless he LIFTS the mower ... No plug problem here,, You are thinking of a different post- "removing plug to fire"... = different post. This is a carb problem. Prob a bad float.
CBHvac Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed

Yo yo, homie! <G>

Well shit! You mean I've been arguing a point FROM ANOTHER POST for 2 days?
Hell.. I'm off to bed. <G>
Well, maybe after playing "Poke the spammer" on our home group. <G>
NOI

LOL...what a damn Monday...

HEHEHHEHEHE.....yuppers......(SLAP)
Bulls
THATS more like it...LOL

CBHvac Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed

Looks like Flopps got into that action too. <G>
However, when did he switch to Earthlink?
NOI
fuel is supplied by gravity
disconnect gas line at carb check for fuel flow
if flow is god up at line where connects to carb check the float & bowl in the carb for dirt, water, plugged jet etc. good luck
There is a lot more to fixing lawn mowers than you appear to know. We need to know what the brand, model, type of carb, horse power, and type of engine. I know of four or five different brands of engine, and one of them has five different types of carb. Please provide us more information.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Could you please take your religious pitches somewhere else?
steve