Lawn mower problem

My lawn mower runs for a while, but when it is shut it down I cannot restart it. In addition the gas leaks out of the tank. For starters what could be the problem? Should I take it to get it repaired or is this something I can fix myself
Add pictures here
✖
bob callaway wrote:

Where is the leak exactly?
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 17 May 2010 20:22:24 -0500, Dean Hoffman

If you are real handy you can fix it sourself, otherwise take it to a shop or find a friend who knows what he's doing with an engine.
Add pictures here
✖
On May 17, 8:59 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

If it was the float sticking wouldnt it just flood the motor, the tank leak seams to be a seperate issue.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 18 May 2010 08:15:22 -0700 (PDT), ransley

warmed up and you try to start it again? Or do you have TWO problems.
Metal tank? Plastic tank? Briggs tank mounted carb??
We need more, and more accurate info to be of any more help
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I think you're right after rereading the post. A farmer solution would be a couple, three taps on the carburetor then maybe a very generous dose of carb cleaner. I got an old roto tiller running once by using a tankful of pure carb cleaner. It actually ran halfway decent after that.
Add pictures here
✖
bob callaway wrote:

Just wondering here-- do you think it might be helpful to mention what make and model lawnmower and what engine you've got if you expect some help?
Then again, anyone who would post what you did definitely better take it someplace to get it fixed. Would you like some instructions on how to get it into your car or truck and help laying out the route to the repair facility, hmmmm??
Add pictures here
✖

What make is it old. Is it choked, flooded, or a lean mix, is it auto choke, does it release, did you pull the plug to see, and thats the time to verify you have spark, when its hot to rule out ignition failure. Is oil contaminated with gas indicating a bad float or do you know nothing about mowers except where the gas goes and to pull the rope.
Add pictures here
✖