Lawn mower problem

My lawn mower runs for a while, but when it is shut it down I cannot restart it. In addition the gas leaks out of the tank. For starters what could be the problem? Should I take it to get it repaired or is this something I can fix myself

Reply to
bob callaway

Where is the leak exactly?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

The float valve in the carb is not sealing. If you are real handy you can fix it sourself, otherwise take it to a shop or find a friend who knows what he's doing with an engine.

Reply to
clare

Just wondering here-- do you think it might be helpful to mention what make and model lawnmower and what engine you've got if you expect some help?

Then again, anyone who would post what you did definitely better take it someplace to get it fixed. Would you like some instructions on how to get it into your car or truck and help laying out the route to the repair facility, hmmmm??

Reply to
Joseph Capgras

If it was the float sticking wouldnt it just flood the motor, the tank leak seams to be a seperate issue.

Reply to
ransley

What make is it old. Is it choked, flooded, or a lean mix, is it auto choke, does it release, did you pull the plug to see, and thats the time to verify you have spark, when its hot to rule out ignition failure. Is oil contaminated with gas indicating a bad float or do you know nothing about mowers except where the gas goes and to pull the rope.

Reply to
ransley

You mean the main FUEL tank? - and it only leaks when it has been warmed up and you try to start it again? Or do you have TWO problems.

Metal tank? Plastic tank? Briggs tank mounted carb??

We need more, and more accurate info to be of any more help

Reply to
clare

I think you're right after rereading the post. A farmer solution would be a couple, three taps on the carburetor then maybe a very generous dose of carb cleaner. I got an old roto tiller running once by using a tankful of pure carb cleaner. It actually ran halfway decent after that.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman