Lawn Mower Power - What is the HP?

Page 1 of 2
I'm looking at this mower on Walmart.com It says it has a: 500 series engine with 158cc Briggs & Stratton motor
They used to rate these Briggs (and other) engines by their horsepower. Now they got this metric shit that means absolutely nothing.
Does anyone know how to determine the HP on this thing?
See the mower here: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id ‚84050
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

Google's quicker than posting here? <g>
see http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200317186_200317186
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

It seems you didn't scroll down on the above link? It reads:
"HP 4 Application Walk behind mowers Torque (ft./lbs.) 5.5"
Add pictures here
✖
Be advised, the replacement engines are a lot different that the junk that gets put on the "$150 mower".

✖
On Aug 7, 12:53 am, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

What exactly do you expect for $150 and why do you leave your mower out in the rain?
Add pictures here
✖

Yeah. For $200 I recently bought a used 12.5HP Snapper riding mower.
Why not leave it out in the rain? Won't hurt the mower any more than hosing it down when the job's done.
Add pictures here
✖

Of course it will. Comparing it to washing it down is like saying a car left exposed outside instead of having it garaged is no worse off than cars taken to the car wash occasionally. Leaving it outside, depending on the exact climate, can expose it to long periods of being wet, high humidity which can condense on inside parts, etc.
Plus, I don't know about you, but if I were washing off my mower, I wouldn't be spraying water down on top of the engine like rain would fall.
Add pictures here
✖

Electric connections, slide cables and switches corrode. Moisture can cause electric shorting. When you hose it its often hot and dries out fast in the sun.
Add pictures here
✖
You might find this interesting. You're probably not going to find a real answer to the HP question.
http://www.newsinferno.com/archives/3553

✖
What's that link have to do with the engine the OP mentioned? It's not EVEN the same.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200317186_200317186
Add pictures here
✖
Letterman,
Look again at the site that Leroy recommended. Try clicking on the "specs" tab. I see 4 hp listed. Sounds as if you want a bigger engine.
Dave M.
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 6, 10:12 pm, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

My new 190cc brigs has 6.75 lb of torque so the 158cc will have alot of power. I dont understand why they dropped the HP rating, but I bet my 190 cc has 6.2-6.75 HP it spins a 21" blade with powerdrive and has excess power, you are probably getting a 19" blade which only needs 4hp
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 6, 11:12 pm, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

News flash: The HP numbers didn't mean anything either.
All they indicated was "bigger is better" same as the numbers do now. More cc's, a higher torque rating, etc., means a more powerful mower. Bigger is better.
Add pictures here
✖

The most efficient motor or engine is better. They lead everyone into thinking bigger is better because it is typically cheaper to build bigger and more expensive to build efficient.
Add pictures here
✖
More importantly, what's the HP rating of push reel mower?
Add pictures here
✖
"HeyBub" wrote:

Not it isn't. "A pint of water is a pound and a quarter".
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@iname.com wrote:

Maybe in the metric system.
Add pictures here
✖
HeyBub wrote:

Nope, in the English system. An Imperial pint is 20 ounces, not 16. There is no pint in the metric system.
--John
✖
nope.

✖
Steve Barker DLT wrote:

In Canada and the UK it is.
Parochialism rears its ugly head once again.

--John
✖