lawn mower magneto

how do i set the magneto spark gap on a 4hp push mower, is ther a sertain gap or do i just push it up to the magneto magnet
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 17:33:26 -0500, "raindeeer"

Some folks say to use a match book cover... about 0.25.
I don't know the real answer, but you do need a gap and this gap will affect performance.
-- Oren
A match book or bussiness card is just about right

BTW, while you can; lightly sand the magnets in the flywheel and also the magneto contacts. Just shine them up a bit. Nothing serious...
-- Oren
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 17:33:26 -0500, "raindeeer"

You don't want the parts to scrape.
What oren said.
But it's not a spark gap. There's a gap or space, and it's at the magneto, and it is part of causing the spark, but the spark gap is at the spark plug.

I agree with Al. I worked in a small engine shop many years ago and one of the old timers had us use a business card to set the clearance. It was pretty close to the correct gap and a lot easier to use then a feeler gauge.