Lawn mower help needed

Page 1 of 2
50" Cub Cadet, Briggs & Stratton 24HP V-twin motor, Model 446777 268 total hours Engine stopped while mowing. Blades did not strike unwanted object.
Healthy spark on both cylinders. Gas sprayed on filter while cranking, but no chance of starting. Carburetor taken apart and cleaned about 5 hours ( or running) ago. Compression in one cylinder 80 psi, other 110 psi. Not gr eat. Don't know what is normal.
Have no idea why it won't even "catch", just a little.
Any advise greatly appreciated.
Ivan Vegvary
On Mon, 9 May 2016 21:02:38 -0700 (PDT), Ivan Vegvary

way and crank it. If it pops and runs a second, you have a fuel/carb problem.
On Mon, 9 May 2016 21:02:38 -0700 (PDT), Ivan Vegvary

You mean starter fluid here, right?

Why? Wasn't running well?

You don't mention the sparkplugs. Gap? Fouled? I wouldn't expect both to foul at once, but maybe you were only running on one cylinder for a while and then the second one went.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Check to make sure the push-rods haven't worn down or the tips broken off. I've seen this on more than one Briggs and Stratton motor.
--
RonNNN

On 5/10/2016 12:02 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

At church, the nice sunday school teacher was asking the class to give the name of some thing. It's brown, runs up trees, and eats nuts from the nut trees. The class is silent. Finally a boy raises hand, and is recognized. "I know the answer is Jesus, but it sure sounds like a squirrel, to me."
In this case, I trust you didn't hit a rock or some thing. But it sure sounds like a sheared flywheel key, to me.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Ivan Vegvary wrote:

There's only fuel, fire and timing. You've got the first two, and if it was timing you'd get at least a backfire.
My guess? You have a bad safety switch, probably under the seat.
On Tuesday, May 10, 2016 at 10:21:15 AM UTC-4, 83LowRider wrote:

Safety switches work by shorting or disconnecting the ignition. He has spa rk so it's not a safety switch.
Confirm you have spark on both cylinders. Your compression numbers are ok. It will be a bit higher when it's actually running. Spray ether down the carb, not on the filter. If it doesn't try to start then you should check for a sheared key. If it does try to start you still have a carb problem.
On Tue, 10 May 2016 07:47:23 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You're the second one to mention a sheared key. How would that cause this problem?
On 5/10/2016 11:04 PM, Micky wrote:

On points ignitions, if the flywheel is turned, you lose spark. On electronic magnetos, the spark happens at the wrong time in the compression cycle. So, on some motors it is possible to have spark. But, spark at the wrong time.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 5/11/2016 12:13 AM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

Two possible problems to keep in mind:
Bad motor oil (more a problem on Tecumseh walk behind mowers).
Valve clearance.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 6:05:21 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

...seriously, what kind of drugs are you on?
On Tue, 10 May 2016 21:13:51 -0700 (PDT), Ivan Vegvary

it been checked/replaced?
Put a pressure guage on the outlet of the pump to check pressure. Connect your "gravity feed" tank to the carb and check delivery of fuel from the fuel tank/pump.
On Wed, 11 May 2016 16:13:42 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Does this engine by any chance have the solenoid valve that screws into the bottom of the bowl jet stem? If so may be shutting fuel off (or slowing feed) as it heats up.
--
Mr.E

Ivan Vegvary posted for all of us...

No fuel pump. gravity feed.
--
Tekkie

Wed, 11 May 2016 04:13:51 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Silly question... But, is your fuel tank able to vent properly?
Try loosening the gas cap and see if it can start without the assistance of fluid. If it does, mess with the throttle. If it seems like it used to be, see if it'll roll with the deck running, as you'd expect. If it behaves normally, it's not properly venting and it's slowly being starved of fuel as a result when you force it to run with the help of a squirt or two. You can check the gas cap and try to fix it or just replace it.
On Tue, 10 May 2016 23:11:53 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Oh, yeah, the key is under the flywheel/magneto thingy. I had in mind that it was under the blade!!
On 5/11/2016 1:01 AM, Micky wrote:

center of the flywheel, where the flywheel meets the crank shaft.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

On Wed, 11 May 2016 16:35:31 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Thanks. At least I had reason to think that. Now I don't feel so stupid.