Lawn Mower Flats

Anybody got any tricks to fixing a lawn mower flat tire? There's no nails, it's just that every so often, one will get so low it will come off the rim. My air compressor doesn't have enough pressure to blast it back on, and I always seem to end up taking the thing down to the local tire shop. They simply just hook it up to their big compressor, and boom, it's fixed. If I could just figure out some way to hold it, I could save myself a trip downtown.
Old farm trick, get a bottle of hair spray or any aerosol flammable, spray a little bit into the tire and then toss a match on it. Boom the tire is sealed, now finish filling it.
Either , spray it light it. An artic expedition where they had Toyota Land cruisers on 4 lb of air on 35" tires showed them doing this. You may have to remove and lay tire flat, maybe not

Harbor freight sells a green goop that goes inside tires to prevent this. I use it on my mountain bike and my camp trailer. If you have like bike tires look into the not inflatable tubes that never need air. Try Wal-Mart
It's hard to say why your tires are going flat, maybe dirt on the bead or a defect in the metal rim.. Have the tire shop put a tube in it and that should solve the problem..
I suspect that the reason the tire comes off the rim, after it goes flat, is because you are driving on it.. Get a small cheap compressor and keep your tires fully inflated..
Steve
Can you get a rubber tube installed in the wheel? That should solve your problem.
On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 16:20:20 GMT, "Batson D. Belfrey"

Fix a Flat, the stuff for cars.
I use it on mowers, wheelbarrows, hand trucks, anything the may have a slow leak.
Barry
Batson D. Belfrey wrote:

attache my small plug in the wall compressor and put the hose on the take a rope and put it onto the outside rim of the tire and tighten the rope with a stick, twist it to make it tight... got so tire of doing this that i just broke down and bought a tube, its been a while now and the tire never needs any air.......

You can also get solid rubber barrow tires.
STeve
When I was working in the shipyards, the rubber tired hard vehicles were always getting cuts and punctures from metal bits and pieces in the industrial areas and dry docks.
The motor pool guy just filled all the tires with a expand-in-place foam. The tire never went flat and lasted until the tread was worn off.
Steve

"Slime" the tires, that is put the glooey stuff called Slime in there. Available at Walmart, etc. When you DO get a flat, make a loop of rope, that is, tie a length of rope to make it a circle. Make it a little bigger around than the tire. Put it around the tire in the middle of the tread. Put a stick in the loop and twist like a tourniquet. It will squeeze the tire and make the beads contact the rim. Be putting air in it at the same time, hopefully with an inflator that has a clamp on it that will hold onto the valve stem. When it makes contact, it will pop. Just keep twisting the rope until this happens. You can use hairspray or starter fluid, but wear a hat and be careful of your eyebrows and moustache.
Steve
THe slime works for me too but if you decide to go the inner tube route, automobile tire dealers usually don't have the equipment to handle small (lawn mower) tires. In which case you have to go a lawn mower store to get it done. I've done it both ways.