Lawn Mower Doesn't Turn Off

My husband and I just bought a new lawn mower and unfortunately it doesn't turn off unless we disconnect the cable. Has anyone had this problem before? Any suggestions?
What kind of a mower? Push, self propelled, ride on or what? What size motor and cut? What brand of motor, Briggs and Stratton, Tecumseh or what? Is it new or used?

It's really simple. Just reach down and grab the end of the plug wire and pull it off. It will stop before you stop screaming.
Steve

Just keep cutting grass untill it runs out of gas. Probably just a loose clamp on the cable that controls the on off mechanisim

If you move the throttle handle to the full choke position it should 'choke' the engine to sleep but that's not best for the engine. If you have a "Stop" position on the throttle i suspect that the ground wire has become disconnected. Look for a place where the switch comes to a stop and touches a metal post. Now, look for a wire attached to the post. It should end at a connection to the engine block. One end or the other has become disconnected. Reattach and it should work.

This either a troll or incomplete information!
Can't tell from this posting whether we are speaking about an electric mower with a defective switch? If so where is switch located? i.e. pull the plug instead.
Or, say, a gasoline powered machine with a problem in the throttle linkage and/or with a breakage in the electric shut off which is supposed to 'kill' the ignition when the throttle is in the zero position?
Respectfully suggest post a more complete question and/or take it to a repair shop.